No signal after installing new graphics card

Jan 11, 2019
I know there are a lot of threads already on this topic, but I've tried pretty much every solution I've found. So recently I've just upgraded from a radeon rx 460 to a gtx 980 ti. I made sure to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new graphics card. I installed the new graphics card into my system and turned it on, not getting a display at all(The monitor doesn't even get a signal). I made sure I have enough power for the system (700w) and that integrated graphics are disabled. I also reset CMOS by taking out the battery and jumping the pins before putting the battery back in 5 minutes later. The bios for my motherboard is at the latest version.
My specs:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 rev1.2
CPU - AMD fx-4300
RAM - 16gb ddr3 1600Mhz
Hard drive - 1TB HDD
PSU - 700W 80+ bronze
Windows 10 operating system

If there is any other information that is needed, I will be happy to provide. If there is some incompatibility because of age or what not then please let me know. Thank you for your time.

I tested the graphics card in another system with a new B450 motherboard and ryzen 5 2600 and the card worked fine, which leaves me to think its my motherboard that is at fault.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Let's get the basics out of the way first...
What is the make and model of the 700W PSU?
Is the card's 8-pin headers plugged into the PCIe power from the PSU?
Are you sure you didn't inadvertently plug the monitor into the VGA port on the motherboard (if using VGA)?
Do the card's fans spin?
What is the make and model of the card?

Btw, lots of CPU bottleneck mating a 4300 with a 980 Ti. But I presume you already know that.

Jan 11, 2019

1. It is a 700W PSU from Sparkle Power, the new system that i tested had the EVGA 650 gold certified (should that make a difference?)
2. Yeah I have 2 6+2 pin headers both from PSU plugged into the graphics card
3. Yes, I am sure the monitor is plugged into the graphics card
4. Yes, the fans on the graphics card spin
5. Model is Gigabyte GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD gtx 980 ti rev 1.0, specs are PCI-E 3.0/6144MB GDDR5/384 bit

And also yeah I know there some serious bottleneck there but I don't want to drop 200-300 cash just yet for upgrades

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Is this the Sparkle PSU?
And are you saying you tried using a different machine with a Evga 650 Gold PSU and the card worked? Maybe try the gfx card that was in use on that other machine on yours. If that card doesn't produce a display on your machine, then we can narrow down the possibilities.

What was the last gfx card you had in use on your machine? See if it still works.

Jan 11, 2019

Sparkle power psu is http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/SPI700A8BB.pdf (spi700a8bb)
And yeah I tried it in a new machine with the EVGA supernova 650 G3 80+ gold, but remember the motherboard and cpu are different also (MSI B450 and ryzen 5 2600)
So my old graphics card is gigabyte rx 460 2gb, and yeah it still works fine. But when I replace it with the gtx 980 ti and plug in the power cables i get no display.

Jan 11, 2019

UPDATE: Just switched the power supplies and nothing changed, does this mean I will need a new motherboard because the BIOS is also fully updated and still no display?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Odd. The board still works when using the old card, so I doubt the board is defective. Which PSU did you switch to this time?

Is it possible that the larger GTX 980 Ti isn't sitting well in the PCIe x16 slot? How about the video cable fitting the 980 Ti's ports? Sometimes there are problems with the connector not fully seating due to the ports' position in relation to the case.

The board's BIOS should have no issue recognizing the card. I tested my MSI GTX 980 (not Ti) in my older 775 socket board and it fired right up and produced a nice display.

Jan 11, 2019

It is interesting that you say that because it is like 1 mm off the PCIe slot so i nudge it a bit then it fits in and I hear the lock snap like its supposed to, compared to the rx 460 where I can just line it up perfectly and it fits in fine. On the new system with the new motherboard it seems to fit fine and works, so I guess it is possible that this is the issue.

UPDATE: i just unscrewed the motherboard and made sure the 980 ti was comfortable, but still no display. I'm pretty sure the video cable is plugged fine into the card, and there is no obstruction because of the case. I swapped the spi 700W for the EVGA 650, though that did not work out. So I guess the power supply is out of the problem now, and we can narrow it down further?

Jan 11, 2019

Also just tried to boot in safe mode and disable integrated graphics, still no signal. However I know the card is getting detected because DDU logs everytime a graphics card is changed. Just no display :/