[SOLVED] No signal after playing game for a while, sometimes with GPU fans going full speed

cheesycoke

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Hello, I've been having an issue this past few days where when playing pretty much any kind of game, especially one that's more intensive, after a certain amount of time my screens will all go black before flashing a no signal message. Some of these times the fans on my video card start running at full speed, though I can still hear audio fine and my PC is still capable enough to shut down safely from me just tapping the power button. This has been happening the last few days.

I have tried updating my drivers to no avail, going into Nvidia control panel and turning debug mode on seems to push it back but it doesn't 100% stop it. It's most likely not a temp error since, once it's restarted, looking in Speccy the temps seem perfectly fine when I imagine they would at least be somewhat hot still had it been overheating.

Looking into Event Viewer I've had a few errors show up related to "NVIDIA OpenGL Driver" with somewhat different messages. First one on the 12th gave an error code of 10, pinning the blame on audiosync.exe. Next few were error code 3 (subcode 2) with half also blaming audiosync.exe until I turned SteelSeries' led audio sync off, to which it then started saying which game I was playing at the time of the error. The last one was error code 7.
The first mentioned the GPU got disconnected and the application may become unresponsive, while the rest save for the most recent one mentioned a kernel exception. The last one said a TDR had been detected.

I understand a TDR error indicates the card couldn't get something done in the time Windows wanted it to, but I've heard this exact issue can come from multiple sources, from the card itself to the power supply. Is there any way I can find the direct source? Is it even a hardware problem? I did have a Windows update fairly recently.

Specs are an i7-4770, 8gb of DDR3 RAM, a Corsair CX650 650W PSU with 80+ Bronze certification, and an EVGA GTX 1660Ti XC. OS is Windows 10, worth mentioning the PSU and GPU are well within warranty period. I also use a PCIe riser with my video card, as my motherboard (a Mini ITX board salvaged from an old Alienware PC) does not have room for me to install the card normally.

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry but coming back to this with one more question. I finally got around to switching the power cable that my video card uses from one PCIe power cable to another and now everything seems okay. I still have years on my PSU's warranty, but should this be cause for concern enough for me to RMA as soon as possible?
May 16, 2020
Hello, I've been having an issue this past few days where when playing pretty much any kind of game, especially one that's more intensive, after a certain amount of time my screens will all go black before flashing a no signal message. Some of these times the fans on my video card start running at full speed, though I can still hear audio fine and my PC is still capable enough to shut down safely from me just tapping the power button. This has been happening the last few days.

I have tried updating my drivers to no avail, going into Nvidia control panel and turning debug mode on seems to push it back but it doesn't 100% stop it. It's most likely not a temp error since, once it's restarted, looking in Speccy the temps seem perfectly fine when I imagine they would at least be somewhat hot still had it been overheating.

Looking into Event Viewer I've had a few errors show up related to "NVIDIA OpenGL Driver" with somewhat different messages. First one on the 12th gave an error code of 10, pinning the blame on audiosync.exe. Next few were error code 3 (subcode 2) with half also blaming audiosync.exe until I turned SteelSeries' led audio sync off, to which it then started saying which game I was playing at the time of the error. The last one was error code 7.
The first mentioned the GPU got disconnected and the application may become unresponsive, while the rest save for the most recent one mentioned a kernel exception. The last one said a TDR had been detected.

I understand a TDR error indicates the card couldn't get something done in the time Windows wanted it to, but I've heard this exact issue can come from multiple sources, from the card itself to the power supply. Is there any way I can find the direct source? Is it even a hardware problem? I did have a Windows update fairly recently.

Specs are an i7-4770, 8gb of DDR3 RAM, a Corsair CX650 650W PSU with 80+ Bronze certification, and an EVGA GTX 1660Ti XC. OS is Windows 10, worth mentioning the PSU and GPU are well within warranty period.
I had this problem myself a few years ago. #1 Make sure your display cable is in your GPU. #2 Make sure your in game resolution is set to the same as your screen resolution. I'm not sure why but back when I was using a 750 Ti I couldn't have it set to anything higher or lower than the screen resolution my PC was set to without the screen going black in the middle of a game.

cheesycoke

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
I had this problem myself a few years ago. #1 Make sure your display cable is in your GPU. #2 Make sure your in game resolution is set to the same as your screen resolution. I'm not sure why but back when I was using a 750 Ti I couldn't have it set to anything higher or lower than the screen resolution my PC was set to without the screen going black in the middle of a game.

Thank you but the first one can't be the solution, I shoulda made it clearer in the original post but I run a triple monitor setup so it would have to be all 3 cables going out at once. The second would that happen even for games running in windowed? Granted I have only had this happen in windowed mode games that I do have running lower than my monitor resolution but it seems unlikely.

May 16, 2020
Thank you but the first one can't be the solution, I shoulda made it clearer in the original post but I run a triple monitor setup so it would have to be all 3 cables going out at once. The second would that happen even for games running in windowed? Granted I have only had this happen in windowed mode games that I do have running lower than my monitor resolution but it seems unlikely.
Back when I had this issue I didn't really believe it either. I recommend giving it a shot and see if it works, if not we can work our way down the line until we figure it out :)

cheesycoke

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Back when I had this issue I didn't really believe it either. I recommend giving it a shot and see if it works, if not we can work our way down the line until we figure it out :)

Whether or not this would work doesn't even matter now, I can't even watch Youtube videos without this happening. I've also since tried a clean install of Nvidia drivers, uninstalling the recent Windows update(s), and discharging the capacitors in the PSU by holding the power button down.

Although the last few times, worth mentioning, event viewer has been filled with dwm.exe errors with no Nvidia OpenGL Driver errors in sight for some reason.

cheesycoke

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Coming back with an extra update that may help clarify things maybe? Had the same error as usual while in a Discord call with screenshare, everything went no signal and fans revved up to full speed. Next time I started my PC again, it didn't have any signal but everything still worked fine, fan speeds were normal also. Restarting again got my signal back.

cheesycoke

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Sorry but coming back to this with one more question. I finally got around to switching the power cable that my video card uses from one PCIe power cable to another and now everything seems okay. I still have years on my PSU's warranty, but should this be cause for concern enough for me to RMA as soon as possible?

Solution