"No signal" after RAM installation

kwispy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I recently obtained 4GB OCZ memory (2x2GB.) Upon installing one of the 2GB sticks, my computer turned on and functioned properly. When I installed the other 2GB stick, when turning on the computer, my monitor displays a "no signal" message. Tech support at OCZ is telling me to do several things, but I don't seem to understand it.

Currently the bios is set at 6-6-6-15. I'm supposed to change it to 5-5-5-18 2T. I dont seem to see an option for the 2T (SDRAM CAS Latency? I think? I don't see that option.)

Also I'm to change the memory voltage to 2.1v, but it is currently greyed out an unchangeable at 1.9v.

Finally, he also suggested changing the north bridge or MCH/SPP to 1.4v. This option...I have no idea where to start looking. I did see a SB voltage though...but that is also unchangeable...

Any sort of instructions would be much appreciated :sol:

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
if your computer doesn't even post then chances are one of the sticks is bad.

try to installing just the other stick of ram, and see if the computer posts. if it doesn't post with ONLY the 2nd stick, then that stick is bad and it's RMA time.

You will need to turn off the "auto" setting for the RAM in the BIOS, both for the timings, and voltage, when you do the options will be available.
This is a pretty classic case of the voltage defaulting to too low a setting on the "auto" settings. If one would use the search feature in these forums, they would find about 1789 1/2 posts addressing this very issue.

kwispy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
thats wonderful that 1789 1/2 people have been helped with this issue, but perhaps someone could be a bit more helpful and list some steps...im a little computer savvy, but i cant find all these options to change.

as i said i can only change the 5-5-5-18, i dont know how to change the 2T. i finally changed the voltage to 2.1, but how do i change north bridge voltage?

Setting the correct voltage on the memory still will not get you past post? (By the way, if you are getting "no signal", it means your PC is not posting. POST is all the words and configuration you see when you first turn it on, if you don't see anything, you are not POSTING. What is your motherboard exactly? I have to run out for a while, will try to get back this evening if you are still having problems, once I know what your board I can check the BIOS settings so I am on the same page as you, and try to be more helpful.

kwispy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009

thank you. im sorry i thought posting was the computer simply turning on. my motherboard is an MSI G31M-F. my biggest problem is that i dont seem to be able to find the correct options in the bios....