[SOLVED] "no signal" after update of Nvidia GeForce driver

BHD

May 19, 2019
Hi! I bought a Nvidia GeForce GT 1030. I have Windows 8.1. I connected the card, connected my LG monitor through an HDMI cable and it detected it fine. Then I inserted the CD and installed the Geforce Experience thing that also installs the Nvidia drivers (right?).
Everything okay but my screen looked kind of bad with the HDMI so I bought a VGA to DVI-D adapter (since the card only has HDMI and DVI). Tried it but I got "check your signal" message on the screen.
Some guy I know suggested going to the Nvidia website to download an updated driver. Did that, looked for one for my model and OS and downloaded it. While it's installing I hear the USB sound beep and my screen goes "No Signal". I wait a while but then decide to reboot.
I still get "No Signal", can't even see the ASUS screen on startup. I removed the card so I can see my screen (I have an onboard Intel too) and I got DDU to remove anything left from Nvidia to try to start fresh again.
Did that in safe mode. Then tried to connect my card again and reboot but still "no signal".
Then I tried something else: rebooted and on the ASUS screen I go to the BIOS settings and force the onboard Intel card. Then shut down. Connect the Geforce again, start the computer. I see in Dxdiag that the Geforce is there of course. Tried to instal the original driver that came with the CD again. I instal Geforce Experience but I guess the driver didn't install because I didn't see Nvidia control panel when right clicking the desktop. Either way I shut it down, went to the BIOS again, set it so that it doesn't force the onboard graphics.
Turn it on again but still "No Signal".
Idk what to try anymore. What should I try? I know it was a bad idea now to update the driver, I really regret trying that. But Idk what's going on now because after DDU supposedly deleted everything that came with Nvidia I assume my computer is back to the state before I bought the card. So connecting the card should work like it did when I bought it but I still get "No Signal". I don't have a system restore point to go back to, again I really regret not paying more attention before trying to update the driver.

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Last edited:
For DVI-D to VGA you would need an active adapter, and using that to fix some image issue is the wrong thing to do here. HDMI probably just looks sharper than you are used to with VGA, and it may be the screen quality as well.

All these video issues, are you still using the adapter? What are the full system specs including the power supply brand and model?

BHD

May 19, 2019
Thanks for the reply! It turned out it was an HDMI cable problem. I acquired a new one and it worked fine. I should have tested that before making the thread but oh well. I could install the driver again from the CD after that (though the Nvidia control panel didn't install but I guess I don't need it 100%).