[SOLVED] "No Signal/Black Screen" After Installing Drivers for GPU

Oct 14, 2018
This is a long one boys, so buckle in.

I'm having mega issues with a new GPU and PSU that I recently purchased for my computer. First off, I bought a pre-built HP Pavilion 570-p023w with an Intel Core i-5 7400 processor. I wanted to upgrade the graphics card to be able to play and stream Overwatch, so I looked into the Geforce GTX 1060 that was within my budget. I found it online bundled with a EVGA 600B Powersupply, so I purchased both.

Day of install, I notice issues immediately. SO, I'm new to pcs. Entirely. And I don't have anyone to help me, so Im doing it on my own. Opening my dumba$$ slim HP case, I notice off the bat that the graphics card isn't going to fit. the Motherboard is a Lubin, Intel chipset H270 http://

The way the 24 pin PSU connectors are situated, I can't install the graphics card without the fan piece being in the way. Also, The PSU has a fan that aims down, sitting directly above the GPU that has a fan blowing up, so they would just be blowing hot air into each other. So, in order to get everything to fit, I un screw the fan part from the gpu and keep it plugged into the GPU, but angle it off the side so the fan is now aimed to blow air out of the side of the case.

Also, in this tiny case, the CDROM drive won't fit. I have to kind of stuff it out the front of the case, which is fine cause I don't care about a CD drive, except that I want to use it to install the driver for my GPU. Well, turns out my CD power adapter and my PSU SATA cables aren't compatible, so I cant even power the darn CD drive anyways (on the phone with EVGA Tech support at this point).

Tech support shows me how I can download the driver from Geforce website. I download the latest driver, 416.34. It instals and the computer goes to restart after installation. Well, the computer comes back on, but it's showing no signal. I call tech support back. Now, I should also mention that earlier, it also showed no signal, and in an effort to trouble shoot the problem myself, I disabled the integrated intel HD graphics. So, because my GPU is no longer showing picture, I have to completely reset CMOS so enable the intel hd graphics again, so that I can download DDU, uninstall drivers, and install a new driver. I uninstall all the drivers, and the GPU won't work.

No Signal, Black Screen. It was working just fine before, but now there is NO signal. And (I'm using an HDMI to channel the monitor, btw) when I tried rebooting with the monitor plugged into the motherboard, and keeping the GPU installed, there was still no screen. But If I took out the GPU, there was a screen. So the tech guy tells me that the computer is recognizing the GPU, otherwise it would not have overridden the Intel HD Graphics. However, while the computer is recognizing it, still no signal.

One thing I should note at this point is in the process of resetting CMOS, I DID unplug and remove the fan entirely. It was just in the way all the time. And the fan worked correctly. Whenever I turned the computer on, the fan came on. I just took it off until I could fix the GPU because I was getting in and out of my PC constantly and the way the fan was positioned, it was in my way.

So, No Signal, the tech guy thinks either the GPU was DOA, or perhaps downloading the latest driver (Which NVIDIA supposedly releases buggy drivers "all the time") maybe a bug wrecked my gpu. AWESOME.

So I open ANOTHER brand new GTX 1060 graphics card that I had planned on returning since I had two (Amazon mixup). I open this bad boy up, take the fan off so it will fit into my computer, log on to Windows, (Oh, I have Windows 10-64) go onto the Geforce website to instal an earlier version of the driver (399.24) that is supposedly less buggy. The driver get's about halfway through installation and NO SIGNAL.

I go through the whole process again of logging on via my Intel HD Graphics, Use DDU in safe mode (last time I didn't use safe mode cause the guy said I didn't need to) Uninstall drivers, try to load up using the GPU, it lasts for about 10-20 seconds before NO SIGNAL. EVGA tech guy says if two brand new graphics cards aren't working, it's probably not HP compatible or there's an issue with windows 10. Well HP doesn't have a 24 HR support line and it was midnight at this point, and Windows One Support charges you $100 bucks for a one time fix... I just dropped all my monies on new hardware, I don't have money for troubleshooting. So, I browse forums, try to come up with a solution. I find something promising: updating BIOS. I update bios, it runs smoothly, went from a 2.0 to 3.0. Looking good, hopes are high. Plug in the 2nd GPU, boot up, GPU looks great.

At this point, I don't plan on downloading a driver. I'm convinced that I'm getting hung up because Windows is automatically finding a driver to work with my GPU, so it's when I try to instal a new driver that I get screwed. So I chill out for a minute, and notice I'm not connected to the internet. I reach down and plug in my LAN cord. AS SOON AS I plug in my LAN cord, the screen goes black. NO SIGNAL.

I call EVGA back and I'm like OKAY I did ALL THE THINGS, and SOMETHING isn't FREAKING WORKING and I NEED HALP So please for the love of god, what the HECKIN HECK IS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER>!?!?!?!?!? (I didn't actually yell at tech support, I've been supper polite this whole time because they are the key to my victory.)

I ask if there is any reason that connecting to the internet would affect my GPU. because earlier, when It would come online and then randomly black screen after 10-20 seconds, that's about how long it takes my wifi to work. And this time it black screens right when I plug the LAN cord in. He laughs and says no, it's probably the motherboard short circuiting. OKaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, So now it's not the GPU, it's not the Driver, it's not Windows, it's not HP: its the motherboard. He asks me if I've tried just turning it off and on, off and on.

SO I go back to the first graphics card, put it in, turn on the computer, I have signal. He says okay, try the next card. I install the second GPU, boot the computer, and I have signal. This signal lasts for maybe 1 and a half minute before no signal. Tech guy says okay, it's probably the PCI-E component. It's working until you try to do too much, and then it's not working. OKAY. I Guess I need a new motherboard or a new PCI-E or what, I don't know. I go to take my graphics card out and it is HOT. LIke HOT HOT. Skillet frying eggs hot. I'm like whoa, is my GPU overheating? Is the 600W PSU somehow too much for my computer to handle??

Tech guy says no, the GPU doesn't overheat really unless it in the middle of an intense game, in which case yes, it will cause No Signal Black Screen. Okieeee, but say, what if it's overheating because I took off the fan? "No, no, that wouldn't do it." Okaaaaaay, but the part that's burning hot to the touch is the part that corresponds to this shiny metal piece of the fan it's supposed to lay against. So I ask again. Are you SURE the GPU isn't over heating. He says yes, but no. The only way to know is to install some program that measures the temp of your GPU, but I can't get a signal to show with the gpu long enough to run a diagnostic, so I can't check if that's it.

So he says it's probably the motherboard now, and sorry.

OKAY. This is a BRAND NEW COMPUTER. I bought it a month ago. This is NOT ONE, BUT TWO BRAND NEW GEFORCE GTX 1060 GPUS, and A BRAND NEW 600W PSU. Now someone, SOMEONE PLEASE, tell me why after I boot into the system, the computer comes online, and then no signal. PLEASE. Because I've dropped too much money on this stuff to scrap it and start from scratch. ANd IF I NEED TO SCRAP IT, What do I need to do to start over?

I know I need a new case, but can I transfer all my hardware from this motherboard, to another motherboard that's bigger and able to actually fit a PSU and a graphics card, into a case that allows room for adequate cooling? Is that even possible?

Someone PLEASE tell me what's wrong, So I know which piece of the $1000 I've spent isn't freaking working.

Solution
"So, in order to get everything to fit, I un screw the fan part from the gpu and keep it plugged into the GPU, but angle it off the side" ^=This here, not good.
"I open this bad boy up, take the fan off so .."<= This also not good.
"..in the process of resetting CMOS, I DID unplug and remove the fan entirely" <=again, not good.
"what's wrong": bad plan, warranty void, you weren't lucky today.

I suggest you consider a new build, obviously some parts can be salvaged. Hard to comment on the usability of stuff when you disassemble it like that.
Hope you have some better luck soon.

CrazyDingo

Reputable
May 1, 2015
"So, in order to get everything to fit, I un screw the fan part from the gpu and keep it plugged into the GPU, but angle it off the side" ^=This here, not good.
"I open this bad boy up, take the fan off so .."<= This also not good.
"..in the process of resetting CMOS, I DID unplug and remove the fan entirely" <=again, not good.
"what's wrong": bad plan, warranty void, you weren't lucky today.

I suggest you consider a new build, obviously some parts can be salvaged. Hard to comment on the usability of stuff when you disassemble it like that.
Hope you have some better luck soon.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS