Question No signal, cold core, missing mosfets on ASUS Strix RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2021
Hello,

I bought this broken GPU from Ebay it is:

ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING

When I plug it does not boot, fans do not spin and it is cold. However led 1 is white so power supply should be OK. Exclude motherboard and other parts. Other cards are working OK.

When I opened the GPU I saw total of 6 missing mosfets for VMEM. I found those on aliexpress but I do not understand why someone detached them? Maybe he wanted to see if the card will boot without them because he thought one of them is broken?

My question is that if the problem are missing mosfets or the gpu should boot even with those missing mosfets?

He was selling this as error 43 so I am in trouble. My only chance is this forum

242283182_270352254910043_2596874522782781825_n.jpg

242307964_1051316785605408_352026421738093289_n.jpg

It should be like this I found this pic on chinese forum:

242316286_165446039069954_2287423619942155054_n.png

Thanks

They look like they were never installed from the factory. Might be intentionally not there for cost cutting and a different PCB revision than the one in the picture.

I remember my Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 had a missing VRM phase, just unsoldered. Apparently early ones had all the phases, but they cost cut the card later on and removed a phase.

They look like they were never installed from the factory. Might be intentionally not there for cost cutting and a different PCB revision than the one in the picture.

I remember my Sapphire Nitro+ RX480 had a missing VRM phase, just unsoldered. Apparently early ones had all the phases, but they cost cut the card later on and removed a phase.
Look carefully at the pads, there is solder on them, bulks of solder, they were installed but removed later.

Sagittariusss

Reputable
Feb 7, 2017
Look carefully at the pads, there is solder on them, bulks of solder, they were installed but removed later.
I'm not saying they weren't, but that alone doesn't mean they were ever installed,

I think they were. Area around them looks weird
Regardless, GPU's don't boot for things that are much less serious than that, so it makes sense for them to boot if someone removed it or not installed the mosfets.

Sep 19, 2021
I'm not saying they weren't, but that alone doesn't mean they were ever installed,

Regardless, GPU's don't boot for things that are much less serious than that, so it makes sense for them to boot if someone removed it or not installed the mosfets.
So the gpu should boot even with the 6 removed mosfets for VMEM?

Sep 19, 2021
When you buy a non-working card don't think it works since they sold it as non-working.

Anything on the card could of failed if it's missing parts they could of used them to try to fix another card.

From the pic you found they look the same to me.
Read the post card was advertised as error 43

InvalidError

Titan
Any suggestions?
My guess is someone bought the GPU possibly already in non-working state for parts to repair another GPU and sold what was left as non-working/parts-only as well to recover some of the cost. There may be more things wrong with the card than the missing FETs and that could be the reason for the missing FETs in the first place.

So my suggestion would be to resell it as non-working, parts-only.

If you are handy with a hot-air station of some sort, you can probably get equivalent FETs to whatever is missing for $10-15.

DSzymborski

Titan
I dont know this is my first time seeing gpu from inside. I just want to fix it and use it. Thats all

Cut your losses and resell it as a non-functional GPU for parts. This isn't the kind of thing one can jump into without the requisite knowledge, nor is there some one-size-fits-all fix that someone can be easily walked through from a distance. This isn't like fixing a leaky faucet or a squeaky hinge.

Status
Not open for further replies.