[SOLVED] No signal coming from computer after botched hard reset

Howard Benson

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
I have a 2 year old computer I built and this morning it started acting up, where it would crash randomly (around 2 minutes to an hour after startup.)
I don't know much about computers so I decided to look stuff up and see if I could find any issues that needed solving. First I noticed my disk was at 100% constantly, so I disabled windows search (or whatever it's called) and turned my computer to performance mode in power settings, noticed it lowered hard drive usage, thought I was triumphant, and crashed shortly after. After that I checked and saw nothing wrong with the physical hardware, and it's all rather new (the PSU is a nice Corsair one I got not even a year ago) I then tried to update windows, where I noticed there was a big Windows update to install as of today, tried installing it twice to no avail because my computer shut down before it was installed.
Here's my first mistake. I got frustrated and decided I'll just wipe the whole thing and see if that helps. Well, during the windows wipe, the computer crashed. Now my PC will turn on but not boot or send signal to either of my two monitors. I tried getting a windows boot USB but it seems to not work either. I'm not sure what to do since I can't interact with the PC internally in any way, and some help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Solution
Where did you get the USB? Is it a MS Windows 10 install media? First I would unplug the wireless adapter and try to boot to the bios with nothing other than the USB plugged in a port along with your mouse and keyboard and one monitor. If you can not boot to the BIOS, try to boot without the USB. If that doesn't work you've likely lost your PSU or graphics card.

Howard Benson

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
Advise the specs of your PC. make/ model Motherboard, PSU model, Graphics card, CPU hard drives/ ssd.
What windows usb are you using? Did you load windows 10 on the computer yourself?

Gigabyte 970A-DS3P FX motherboard
AMD FX-8350
GTX 1050TI
16GB DDR3 ram
WD Blue 1TB hard drive
ASUS PCE AC-56 Wireless adapter
Corsair Cx600 power supply (I'm like 90% sure)

I'm trying to boot from a windows 10 boot USB thing because the whole issue started when I tried to uninstall windows (through the factory reset option in settings) but the computer will turn on, but not boot (it doesn't give a little beep that it does when it boots) and therefore doesn't send a signal to monitors or anything and even when plugging in the USB to both color ports (this is where my computer illiteracy shines) nothing happens.

Where did you get the USB? Is it a MS Windows 10 install media? First I would unplug the wireless adapter and try to boot to the bios with nothing other than the USB plugged in a port along with your mouse and keyboard and one monitor. If you can not boot to the BIOS, try to boot without the USB. If that doesn't work you've likely lost your PSU or graphics card.

Solution

Howard Benson

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
I took out the wireless pci e adapter and my computer was able to boot for some reason. It hadn't even finish uninstalling windows so it didn't need the boot USB. Good thing I got Ethernet recently I guess :) thanks for the help, my guy.

Howard Benson

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
Great. Windows 10 sometimes tries to boot from any USB that's plugged in. I would also advise you to disable fast startup for now, as it can cause problems with booting. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html If all is well you can enable it again, but I keep it disabled, becasue with an ssd my system boots plenty fast as it is.
I've had fast startup disabled, and the wireless adapter was not a USB, which is why I was skeptical taking it out, but it worked nonetheless.

Well I'm glad it worked out anyway. I had read several times that wireless adapters can cause boot issues, and now I know , even if it's not a USB, it can still cause boot failures. :) I'm guessing since they also attach through the PCI system, they can cause the same problems a USB can.