[SOLVED] No signal for mouse/keyboard/monitor

Vagenius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2014
I have a pc that I built years ago that suddenly stopped showing display and mouse keyboard no longer light up. It has been working fine for 3 years. The hdmi got disconnected, I plugged it back in, it had a static screen and then I got no display on the screen. There were NO problems before this and nothing to indicate there was any type of hardware failing. It was working just fine before the hdmi came out. I have tried a new monitor, new hdmi, one stick of ram, no ram, moving ram, reseating cpu (inspected pins before doing so, they looked good) moved the gpu to the other slot, resetting cmos, replacing cmos battery. Still have nothing. The fans turn on, the motherboard is lighting up in the back. The LED light is on for the cpu. The cpu fan is plugged in, the cpu is plugged in correctly. The only thing I haven't done is get my psu tested and of course buy new parts to start narrowing down the culprit. It's an older pc so I haven't been in a rush to fix it but my kids use it and I want to get their grubby paws off my pc and laptop. Any help is appreciated. I will put specs below. Thanks guys!!!

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Motherboard (I did make sure the bios was updated after I got it together.)
Ryzen 5 3600x
XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4 Dram 3200mhz
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
I can't remember the psu brand. Pretty sure it's EVGA and it is 750 watt. It is compatible though, made sure through pc part picker.

Solution
Edited your post to remove profanity. Agree that the situation is frustrating but Tom's is a family friendly venue.

And there is seldom little harm in having someone follow-up on and duplicate your testing. I always hope that others will do such things in case that I make some error of omission or commission.

Okay - let's go more out of the proverbial box:

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of spec are are sign of a faltering/failing PSU.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"The hdmi got disconnected, "

Any idea how that happened - did the cable get pulled, tripped over, or otherwise physically yanked out?

I am thinking damage to GPU port.

Do you have another known working GPU to swap into the computer?

Or another known working computer in which to test GPU?

Vagenius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2014
This:

"The hdmi got disconnected, "

Any idea how that happened - did the cable get pulled, tripped over, or otherwise physically yanked out?

I am thinking damage to GPU port.

Do you have another known working GPU to swap into the computer?

Or another known working computer in which to test GPU?

It did get pulled out but from the monitor, not the gpu. The dog found a piece of popcorn my kid dropped that wiggled its way behind the desk. The hdmi was unplugged from the monitor. The monitor still works, tried it on another pc. I unfortunately don't have another gpu to test right now. I am starting to lean towards gpu though. My kids will be thrilled.

Ralston18

Titan
Probably would have been better if the plug had come out of the GPU.

Leads me to think that the GPU port got a good jerk and/or twist.

Pull the GPU, use a bright light, and a magnifying glass to examine port (inside and out) , and the GPU in general.

Check in and around the I/O panel as well.

May or may not be visible damage.

Vagenius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2014
Probably would have been better if the plug had come out of the GPU.

Leads me to think that the GPU port got a good jerk and/or twist.

Pull the GPU, use a bright light, and a magnifying glass to examine port (inside and out) , and the GPU in general.

Check in and around the I/O panel as well.

May or may not be visible damage.
Hey so I magnified the gpu port, honestly it looks good. I took my computer to the local repair guy. He did everything that I already told him I did, which is the usual troubleshooting. He didn't charge me luckily. Ok so just for an update, I did at least make him test my psu cause well psu is always a culprit for going bad. Anyways this [Mod edit to remove profanity.] guy was like "wish I had a setup with an am4 socket so I could test your cpu." I was done right there. Seriously? OK so I will do a gpu swap tomorrow. If gpu works would you say cpu? My biggest indicator at this point is what would make my razer mouse and keyboard not even be recognized on boot? I have actually never had a post since building this pc. Been running the build 3 years and I flashed bios right at start. I'm not worried about money btw. Just worried about wasting money on [XXX Mod edit #2] dont need to replace. Maybe go geek squad? Hate going there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Edited your post to remove profanity. Agree that the situation is frustrating but Tom's is a family friendly venue.

And there is seldom little harm in having someone follow-up on and duplicate your testing. I always hope that others will do such things in case that I make some error of omission or commission.

Okay - let's go more out of the proverbial box:

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of spec are are sign of a faltering/failing PSU.

Solution