Jul 18, 2020
Hello!

Under load my GPU turns off and the screen goes blank then "no signal", sometimes "out of range" appears but the computer itself remains on since i can hear windows sound effects, or music i just cant see anything.
What i tried:
  • removed gpu and switched to integrated graphics (intel hd 530), still the same issue, but not as frequently. It happens mostly during alt-tabbing or when applications start in fullscreen mode or when the screen resolution changes
  • completely removed and reinstalled nvidia drivers, 2 different versions
  • reseating CPU and new thermal paste
  • reseated/removed RAM
  • cleaned PC, GPU and power supply
  • DVI instead of HDMI cable
  • different monitor
  • different PCI slot for GPU
  • different PSU cable, both the 8 pin one that goes into the GPU and the large one, that goes into the wall outlet
  • bios factory settings reset
  • bios voltages are okay
  • changed fan speed to higher and lower rpm
  • updated windows
  • safe mode
What i did not try:
  • different power supply and GPU (dont have)
  • reinstalling windows 10
None of these seemed to fix my issue, my PC is not overheating, the GPU does not go above 80°C and the CPU is around 45°C under load, and the idle temps are much lower. It first happened a few weeks after reinstalling windows due to a faulty hard drive, but it never happened before. I'm mainly using AutoCAD, Blender, office applications and games when the issue happens. Sometimes the graphics card shuts off immediately when i launch a program that uses GPU, and sometimes i can run benchmarks for an hour before anything happens. I bought this PC in 2015 and only had the motherboard replaced around a year ago, to a same board, only with newer bios version. What could be the issue? I was guessing the GPU, but since it also happens with integrated graphics, could my power supply or motherboard be faulty?
Specs:
  • ASRock z170m motherboard
  • Intel core i5-6600k (not overclocked)
  • GTX 960 4GB
  • 16 GB DDR4 kingston memory (2x8 GB in dual channel)
  • 750W EVGA PSU
  • 1 TB Toshiba HDD / no SSD
  • Windows 10 64bit
Thank you for reading!