Question No signal in monitor after switching graphics card & psu

May 14, 2019
Hello,

I have recently got an AMD Rx 470 and tried to plug it up in my pc , but the psu was not enough for it an (seasonic 500w
and the psu couldn't carry the card),so i bought a new one (corsair cx 450) after i tried to input the card and try to boot ,
the cpu fan & the graphics card fan was working but i didnt had any signal to my monitor.

Notes:
  • I have cleaned the previous drivers with DDU (Because i swapped from Nvdia to AMD)
  • I calculated the psu power consumption (via psu calculator) and its lower than my psu power
  • I have tried resetting bios ( pulling out the battery etc.)
  • I have tried taking out the card and trying to get it in again ( pull out pcie power cables > pulling out the card > inserting the card > inserting the cables)
  • I have tried pulling out/putting in back in (the 24pin cable into the motherboard)
  • When i try with old graphics card and the new psu , the pc boots fine . no problems at all
  • I have also trying inputting the graphics card to another pc , and it works just fine ( I bought the graphics card used)
  • I was told that my graphics card minimum requirement for psu is 500w , but i was also told that the psu should have no problem with this system consumption.
  • My old graphics card was Nvidia GTX 650

My pc :

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 3450 @ 3.10GHz
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Tecohnology Co. Ltd. H61M-S2PV (Intel Core i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz)
Graphics
2D HD LG TV (1366x768@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (MSI)
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB ATA Device (SATA )
111GB KINGSTON SA400S37120G ATA Device (SATA-2 (SSD))

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
While changing the PSU, are you sure you connected everything back ? What about the CPU power connector ?

BTW, it's somewhat strange to replace a 500W PSU not powerful enough by a 450W one... If anything, if power was the issue, it would made things worse...

EDIT: Is your motherboard UEFI ? It seems that your motherboard may not be UEFI depending on the version. Many RX470, if not most, require UEFI to be compatible...

Last edited:
May 14, 2019
While changing the PSU, are you sure you connected everything back ? What about the CPU power connector ?

BTW, it's somewhat strange to replace a 500W PSU not powerful enough by a 450W one... If anything, if power was the issue, it would made things worse...

EDIT: Is your motherboard UEFI ? It seems that your motherboard may not be UEFI depending on the version. Many RX470, if not most, require UEFI to be compatible...

Yes , my motherboard has DUAL-UEFI BIOS

So its an underpowered psu? Cause the card has 500w min?