No signal on attaching graphics card

fosfacebook

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
Hi!

Ive searched the forum but couldnt find an answer for the following question: i have an asrock fm2a85x extreme4-m mothersboard and im trying to install an asus hd 6970 directcu2.
When the gpu is not installed everything works perfectly. I use the hdmi to connect to my tv. Howewer when i get the gpu in the tv says 'no signal'. I tryed the hdmi from the notherboard, ive tryed the dvi of both the motherboard and the gpu the result is the same every time. Ive tried loading first from pci, pcie, and onboard.
If i set it to onboard it starts up and theres picture. I log in start the cd i got install drivers retart set boot to pcie in bios restart, no signal again.
Im quit lost im starting to thing that my vga is faulty but thats highly unlikely since in the last pc it was in(like a month ago) it worked perfectly.

Im open to any ideas pls help if you can!

Thanks,
Chris

Solution
DVI-D - Digital Only
DVI-I - Digital and Analog
VGA - Analog Only

More than likely, your graphics card has a DVI-D (Digital Only) and a DVI-I (Integrated - Both Digital and Analog) outputs. If you're using a simple DVI to VGA adapter, then only the DVI-I output of the graphics card would work as that's the only out put to carry an analog (VGA) signal.

-Wolf sends
1. If there's any type of Auto setting for which graphics adapter to use in the bios turn that on, otherwise set it to PCIE. (have GPU removed first, set it this way, save and restart bios settings, turn off computer, insert GPU, power on computer)
2. Don't use any of the motherboard's video outputs. The TV HAS to be connected to the GPU for the GPU to do anything.
3. that's an extremely power hungry GPU, is your PSU big enough to power it? When the computer "turns on" everything runs at 100% power draw, if the GPU doesn't get enough power, that may be why.
4. are you directly connecting the DVI to your TV, or are you using the included HDMi to DVI adapter? if DVI directly, are you switching the TV's input to DVI?

fosfacebook

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
Okay so it seems only one of the DVI ports are working. The PC has a 600W power supply so thats okay and it seems it was working before just not with the motherboards hdmi output. My only concern now is why is only one of the DVIs working?
Im using a DVI-VGA converter to connect to my PC since i lack the original converter and i dont have anything to plug in hdmi (the card only has DP outputs).

Wolfshadw

Titan
DVI-D - Digital Only
DVI-I - Digital and Analog
VGA - Analog Only

More than likely, your graphics card has a DVI-D (Digital Only) and a DVI-I (Integrated - Both Digital and Analog) outputs. If you're using a simple DVI to VGA adapter, then only the DVI-I output of the graphics card would work as that's the only out put to carry an analog (VGA) signal.

-Wolf sends

Solution

fosfacebook

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017

Thats what i thought thanks for the clarification!