No signal on monitor. CPU thermal throttled. Replaced nearly everything.

oliver21

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Hello,

Yesterday I suddenly noticed my CPU temps in idle were >90c. My PC turned very slow, I found out that my CPU was thermal throttling to under 0,54 Ghz.
I heard a loud and heavy scratching noise around my cooler and PSU, I replaced them both just to be sure the PSU was not losing too much power or short-cutting as the PSU was 6 years old.

So after replacing the aio watercooler and the PSU I couild start the PC up again but now the monitor shows ''no signal''. All the fans are spinning at their max and the lights on the drivers and fans work. So re-applied thermal paste again, tried to boot without GPU, re-seated the CMOS- Battery, different drives, tested the heatsink and motherboard fans and tested all the above in other cases. They work. All weird sounds went away though.
I must mention as the case is 6 year old, one MB fan already failed years ago. I replaced that one.

So after reading the sticky. I'm down to two things. The MB or the CPU.
The socket, the CPU and the MB don't show any visible damage and I don't hear any beep codes. Pure guesswork would tell me it's either the CPU or the MB but I'm not sure anymore.

Help would be very appreciated!
The specs;
Intel I7 2600K
Nvidia GTX 580
New PSU - Corsair 750W
Kingston HyperX Savage 120 GB + WD Blue 2 GB
It was a OEM pc and this is the MB; https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Acer-Mb-sgr09-002-Aspire-Predator-G7760-Lga1155-Motherboard-With-BP/2018466485

Solution
Those temps are extremely high, especially if they were idle temps. Are you sure there was nothing running in the background at the time? Also, what was the condition of the previous cooler?

My guess would certainly be either CPU or MB also. It's somewhat rare for a CPU to fail but a temperature reading that high could have damaged it. If I'm correct in reading the previous cooler was a water cooler the funny noise could have resulted from a failed pump. That then would have been the root cause of the whole issue: first the thermal throttling then the failure of the chip (and/or board).

oliver21

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
I've added the specs and the motherboard in the OP. Cheers for the reminder.
Maybe to add some more detail, between putting the new cooler in first I could only avoid thermal throttling by running in low power mode and keeping the cpu load under 10%. Anything as trying a quick scan on with my AV turning the CPU load to 12% and soon I got 0,21 GHZ.

Can you be sure it's the MB then or did the CPU just slowly die?

Those temps are extremely high, especially if they were idle temps. Are you sure there was nothing running in the background at the time? Also, what was the condition of the previous cooler?

My guess would certainly be either CPU or MB also. It's somewhat rare for a CPU to fail but a temperature reading that high could have damaged it. If I'm correct in reading the previous cooler was a water cooler the funny noise could have resulted from a failed pump. That then would have been the root cause of the whole issue: first the thermal throttling then the failure of the chip (and/or board).

Solution

oliver21

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

Nothing strange ran in the background. When this was starting I tried some AV scanners to be sure it wasn't a miner-trojan/rootkit that caused it. Could not find anything strange running at all the CPU usually stabilized around 10% utilization, even in safe mode. Just very hot.
Previous cooler was a water cooler indeed. The condition was decent, cleaned my case every month, very few pins (2) were bend after the 6 years of use. Until this suddenly happened I've always had 30c idle and 60/70c on max load.

When hearing that sound I also thought the pump failed but to think it took the board and/or board with it is scary. Any way to know for sure or should I stop testing my luck and buy a new board and CPU together?

It seems from your opening post that you've done a lot of troubleshooting already. If you haven't re-seated the memory that's a possibility that could cause similar symptoms. Otherwise, the old pump has just given you an excuse to buy that upgraded Coffee Lake or Ryzen system with more cores ;)

oliver21

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

Haha. Newegg here I come.
Tried swapping the RAM while writing the OP to no avail.
Well I'm happy all the stock parts lasted 6 years except the hard drives, they quit last year. I'll go looking for upgrades then.

Thanks for the help, to both! Not sure if I can reply to my old thread if I suddenly find the magic solution next week, but I'm satisfied with the answers provided, so I'll marked this thread solved.

Cheers.

Latest posts