[SOLVED] No signal on my monitor, need help ASAP.

Apr 15, 2022
I just upgraded my CPU and mobo to R9 5900x and b450 aorus pro wifi with kraken x53 for the cooler, the only 3 things I'm using from my old pc is the psu (500W) and the GPU (RTX 2060) and 16GB (8x2) ram sticks.

the problem is that my pc boots up just fine, everything lights up when I press the power button but I get no signal on my monitor.

I'm guessing it's the 500W psu but I'm still not sure because 500W should be enough to at least boot into windows. the PSU is Bitfenix BPA 500W.

Any help is much appreciated.

Solution
I'll get a new PSU soon but I just want to be 100% sure that it's the problem and nothing else, because even if I don't upgrade it now I'll need to upgrade it later if I want to upgrade my GPU.
also, on pcpartpicker I got a warning that I may need to update the bios in order for the CPU to work on the mobo, that might be the issue, but the problem here is that I can't even get into the bios to update it.

As I said, the PSU is not likely the issue with the specific problem outlined above. But it remains a quite serious one that you apparently have let slide. With a PSU like this, your PC is like a cardiac patient you're having eat a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning.

So, you never updated the BIOS at all since getting...

DSzymborski

Titan
What BIOS version did you upgrade to before installing the new CPU?

Also, while it's not likely the problem here, this is a completely inappropriate PSU/GPU combination that should never have been used. BitFenix has good PSUs, but the BPA series is an ancient, cheaply made group-regulated design that's not even a 500W PSU in a post-Pentium III era and you're just begging for a shorter lifespan for your GPU.

Apr 15, 2022
What BIOS version did you upgrade to before installing the new CPU?

Also, while it's not likely the problem here, this is a completely inappropriate PSU/GPU combination that should never have been used. BitFenix has good PSUs, but the BPA series is an ancient, cheaply made group-regulated design that's not even a 500W PSU in a post-Pentium III era and you're just begging for a shorter lifespan for your GPU.

I'll get a new PSU soon but I just want to be 100% sure that it's the problem and nothing else, because even if I don't upgrade it now I'll need to upgrade it later if I want to upgrade my GPU.
also, on pcpartpicker I got a warning that I may need to update the bios in order for the CPU to work on the mobo, that might be the issue, but the problem here is that I can't even get into the bios to update it.

DSzymborski

Titan

As I said, the PSU is not likely the issue with the specific problem outlined above. But it remains a quite serious one that you apparently have let slide. With a PSU like this, your PC is like a cardiac patient you're having eat a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning.

So, you never updated the BIOS at all since getting the motherboard? Then there's little chance it's compatible with the Ryzen 5000 series without a BIOS update. I'm about 99% sure this board does not have a Flashback feature -- Gigabyte rarely includes this on their budget-oriented motherboards -- which means that you'll have to reinstall the old CPU to update the BIOS.

Solution
Apr 15, 2022

So, you never updated the BIOS at all since getting the motherboard? Then there's little chance it's compatible with the Ryzen 5000 series without a BIOS update. I'm about 99% sure this board does not have a Flashback feature -- Gigabyte rarely includes this on their budget-oriented motherboards -- which means that you'll have to reinstall the old CPU to update the BIOS.
Yeah, I've checked and it doesn't support the flashback feature (Gigabyte call it "Q-flash plus"), also my old CPU is from Intel so I can't use it here to update the bios, so I'll need to get an older AMD cpu somehow and then update the bios with it and then re-install my new CPU.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, I've checked and it doesn't support the flashback feature (Gigabyte call it "Q-flash plus"), also my old CPU is from Intel so I can't use it here to update the bios, so I'll need to get an older AMD cpu somehow and then update the bios with it and then re-install my new CPU.

Yup. Another option would be to take it to a local shop and have them update the BIOS with one of their CPUs.

A large percentage of even 500-series motherboards needed to be updated for Zen 3 (my x570 certainly did). Most 400-series motherboards were long out of production before Zen 3 was even released, the vast majority, if not all of them, would require BIOS updates.