No signal on Radeon RX 460

jcarhat

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
I recently installed a Radeon RX 460 and my computer won't boot properly.

I get a no signal on my monitor, and the only way I can access my computer is by taking out the GPU and running the monitor from the mother board. Which is an ASrock H61m-HVGS

My previous Nvidia card also works just fine.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

What PSU do you have? it could be a faulty GPU but before you go sending it back, is there another PC you can test it on?

jcarhat

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
I have a thermaltake 500w PSU.

The fan spins. The light on the GPU is on indicating it's taking in power. But I get no signal on my monitor. And whenever I press the power button it instantly shuts down which does not happen with my Nvidia card.

I unfortunately cannot test it on anothrt pc

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

This, along with the red light issue, sounds like you don't have all the power supply connectors in correctly, make sure the 6pin(i think thats what 460 uses?)is in correctly, and all the other connectors on the motherboard are seated correctly.

jcarhat

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
■ Yeah it uses a 6 pin. I am pretty sure it's connected in properly. There is a light on the GPU itself that turns blue once its in there properly. I also tested it again with my NDVIDIA card to make sure the pins were working and they seem to be.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

I had a similar problem with my PC, aulthough mine doesn't have the fancy lights ;) i ended up finding out it was a problem with the adapter, what adapter type are you using? and where do you plug it in? make sure you plug it directley into the GPU. the fact that the other GPU still works obviously means it is just a problem with the new one and not other components/mobo.

jcarhat

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Not entirely sure what you mean by adapter, But I have two cables that I tried plugging into the graphics cards. The first was a standard HDMI which got me a no signal.

the second cable has two thumb screws, two sets of pins, and a single horizontal pin. I used this on my previous card to get a video signal.

Ah, I hope it's not an issue with the card. Everything about it seems to be in working order, my computer just wont boot up properly. =\ Cant even access the bios.

Michael_672

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
Check your power supply to your computer .. I have the same problem til I upgrade the power supply I had ATX 300w change to 500w. The card require you to have a 400w power supply.

thenik83

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

Suineg11

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
Most of ya got it wrong..sorry for the late reply but the correct answer is you need a digital enabled monitor. Knowing us PC builders you might stil be useing your caveman monitor using adaptors to convert sockets...if you have a flatscreen tv go plug it in there cos most of them are enabled and walla! Obviously you will need a 500W or more.

Whalfie

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016

Hi, i have tried what you recommended with the whole flat screen thing, however, it still don't work. I mean i just bought the gpu and running a intel i3 3.2ghz cpu on a H61M gigabyte mobo as well as a 580W psu. This is just fairly odd...

tanenui76

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Hi there, I have the same issue here. I am running with Asus P5Q Pro, Intel Q9550, 8GB DDR2, Win 8.1 64bit, Samsung SSD
My RX 460 4GB was running fine for 6 weeks and after an upgrade from my antivirus and Microsoft Visual C++2012 incl. shutting down & reboot I get no signal. My PC works fine with my old HD 5670 512MB but not with the RX 460.
So far I unsuccessfully attempted: restored windows to an earlier restore point, replaced BIOS battery, uninstalled all old GPU drivers using DDU, updated motherboard BIOS, bought a DVI HDMI adapter and tried out the second PCI-E socket on my board.
I really think it's the GPU and not my PC. Before I bought it I made sure that my PSU CX430W was sufficient. Why would it run for 6 weeks without any hiccups using games like LOL and software like Civil 3d and ArchiCAD and then give up? Or does it have something to do with the updates? What do you think guys?

Whalfie

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
I managed to find a solution and hope it will work for those who are still having an issue. What you can do is to download a "high-end graphics cards update" for your motherboard BIOS . This definitely worked for me and hope the same for you.

Whalfie

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
If there is no update for your motherboard, then i suggest you get yourself a newer one. The problem is not with the cabling, but definitely the motherboard software. Also make sure you have connected the 6 pin PCI-express from the power supply to your graphics card.

tanenui76

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
My RX 460 does not have a 6 pin power connection.
But what I do not understand is that it ran for 6 weeks without any problems and then suddenly I get no signal, it does not make sense. Fans are spinning and it gets warm as well, there is just no signal getting to the screen.

Karatecarl

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Did you return it? I just got mine in the mail and it appears to have been used. I'm wondering if I wound up with your return, haha. Exact same issue to a T.

I originally had an xfx r7 but it failed and they sent me this model as a replacement.

wentworth

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Good morning everybody

There are a lot of problems with several graphics card when using Windows 8. The problems come suddenly when an update is not particular for Win 8 and can accommodate Win 7 as well.

There is way over problems with Windows 10. All MTB manufacturers need to make updates for their software and drivers to run under Win 10 but most of the time, the problems are linked to the MTB chipsets which can not be changed and other time can not accommodate updates over a certain capacity. It is even a greater problems with Laptops chipsets.

So, I believe that people should stick with Win 7, as most of the Win 10 upgrade did not work and caused thousands of problems, did reverse to Win 7.

Though new computers comes with Win 10, more and more people install there Win 7 on them. Actually Win 7 is still represents to this day 50% of stand alone computer market and only 27% of servers for small and medium companies.

ajianss

Honorable
Feb 11, 2017
I have same problem too.
my rx460 work fine with my PSU 500w (not branded PSU) + analog monitor with hdmi to VGA converter, until 3 month my PSU damaged.then I changed with 450w PSU but end up with no signal.