[SOLVED] No signal onboard

Feb 16, 2021
Hello,
I am having major downfalls with my new PC Build.
What we have is:
ThermalTake A500 case
Asus Z490 TUF Gaming Plus
Intel I9 10850k
G Skill Trident Z 32gb (F4-2933C14D-32GTZRX)
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix cooler
XFX PRO850w XXX edition semi modular PSU

No GPU, Only using onboard, I have HDMI and DP to the same monitor with auto detect on monitor, monitor was working on previous gen4 build via DP, also my PS3 proved the HDMI is functional.

I boot, there's no video signal, There's no ability to CAPS NUM or SCROLL toggle via keyboard.

The Q-LEDs light in this order then disappear.
CPU>DRAM>OFF

No boot device in installed, yet no BOOT Q-LED will light. No VGA is installed, yet no signal is output via onboard HDMI or DP.

I have my Capellix cooler plugged in with the pump in CPU_FAN and a usb header to commander core. Without the USB header plugged in the fans spin on full due to CPU pump not being turned on.

Chassis Fans act normal, RAM and cooler RGB are functional, if I remove RAM the mobo speaker works fine.

All parts are brand new besides PSU. The PSU doesn't have an 8+4 eatx_v12 cable but It does have 4+4 eatx_v12 which I always plug in.

I tried previously with boot devices installed and had no joy with signal then tried without to be sure the boot led was functional.
CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't restart the pc once the keyboard is backlit, but the rest button works no problem.
I tried F1 first then CTRL-ALT-DEL too to be sure I bypassed any reset bios prompts which may or may not have appeared.

I tried installing my old artifacted 1080ti to see if the mobo (just) required a VGA installed for first boot, then 5-6 second shutdown, uninstalled the 1080 plugged the HDMI back into the onboard and still no post display or caps lock toggle abilities were unlocked.

I've reseat RAM and CPU 2-3 times, also the rear port shielding has been Reseated/exchanged.

*This is actually my second TUF Z490 mobo, my first was DOA as it only had aura lighting but no reaction to being powered on, either via case switch or power pin contact inside. That mobo didn't even try. This one I think I've tried all cheat codes for now, including resetting the CMOS via power drain>battery pull>clctr pins contacted for 5-10 seconds>power up, and switch on. The BIOS did reset, each time it was told to, but no video output at any point even after allowing to boot then spam reset switch. Again all QLEDs sequenced during boot except for BOOT LED which seems odd.

850 watts is enough for the setup, but I'm now inclined to rebuild my 4th gen and double check that 'it' still boots determining my PSU not at fault. I feel it's actually the mobo, or CPU being the killer culprit. What do you think?

Solution
So you say your monitor's HDMI port works, as your PS3 gives display output on that port.

Have you tried plugging your pc into your monitor on that same HDMI port?
Maybe the display port has a problem with it?

Do you see any POST screen on your monitor?
Like your motherboard brand's logo or anything?
Can you get into the BIOS?
After resetting the CMOS you should have an option to get into the BIOS.
If not, then it's faulty or incompatible hardware.

Have you checked the cpu socket for any bent or broken pins?
Have you cross checked your ram compatibility in the motherboard supported ram list? (Although even if it's not on that list, it'll atleast POST as long as it's DDR4 and not ECC)

If you can get into your BIOS, try booting off of...

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
So you say your monitor's HDMI port works, as your PS3 gives display output on that port.

Have you tried plugging your pc into your monitor on that same HDMI port?
Maybe the display port has a problem with it?

Do you see any POST screen on your monitor?
Like your motherboard brand's logo or anything?
Can you get into the BIOS?
After resetting the CMOS you should have an option to get into the BIOS.
If not, then it's faulty or incompatible hardware.

Have you checked the cpu socket for any bent or broken pins?
Have you cross checked your ram compatibility in the motherboard supported ram list? (Although even if it's not on that list, it'll atleast POST as long as it's DDR4 and not ECC)

If you can get into your BIOS, try booting off of a thumb drive into a linux distro just to see that you can boot into an OS

Solution
Feb 16, 2021
There is no signal to show post, The monitor is displaying my gen4 mobo setup, using the same HDMI only I use on this monitor, right now.
All the pins under the CPU are good, no bent ones.
The RAM IS listed in the tH mem lists as compatible, though not on another site's compatibility page.
I haven't found the ASUS compatibility list for this mobo.
After resetting the BIOS, I still receive no signal, no Q-LED, no Beeps, no quick shutdown (which would suggest the pc was in fact in post pre-bios)
No breadboard as of yet.

Should I double check my CPU? Have it tested on a different board-onboard graphics only, I could take it to a local pc shop maybe?

Feb 16, 2021
Yes I meant to say, I gave it a shot with HDMI and the Display Port one at a time a few times. If the cable was unplugged and plugged in again the monitor will come out of standby to tell me there's no signal once more. This happens on both ports.

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
There is no signal to show post, The monitor is displaying my gen4 mobo setup, using the same HDMI only I use on this monitor, right now.
All the pins under the CPU are good, no bent ones.
The RAM IS listed in the tH mem lists as compatible, though not on another site's compatibility page.
I haven't found the ASUS compatibility list for this mobo.
After resetting the BIOS, I still receive no signal, no Q-LED, no Beeps, no quick shutdown (which would suggest the pc was in fact in post pre-bios)
No breadboard as of yet.

Should I double check my CPU? Have it tested on a different board-onboard graphics only, I could take it to a local pc shop maybe?

Okay I'm confused.
What do you mean by 'The monitor is displaying my gen4 mobo setup'?

If you don't see any sort of POST screen or prompt to get into the BIOS even after resetting the CMOS, chances are you've got dead or defective or incompatible hardware on your hands.

Maybe try resetting the CMOS again and this time take the battery out and keep it out for a little longer than you usually were?
And then see if you get a POST screen or promot to get into your BIOS?
Find out the key to get into the BIOS for your motherboard.
Usually it is F12 or delete.
Keep pressing it from the moment you press the power button.
See whether the same thing happens.

Feb 16, 2021
Being as CMOS was reset, I assume the first thing POST would require was an F1 to continue. I did spam all the F# Keys, also Esc Del and CTRL-ALT-DEL. Nothing works, in fact even caps NUM and scroll lock toggles don't appear on the usb keyboards or the ps2 keyboard I had to hand.

Clearing CMOS with battery removed, for around 4-5 mins eveb after draining excess power didn't change much, you could tell the BIOS was reset, as anytime after performing this, the post would restart once like any other system which has its bios cleared.

Each time it boots without clearing bios, it sounds pretty normal minus any system beeps. I haven't installed any M.2 or HDD for the purpose of diagnosis.

The problem is that the display has never functioned using the z490 mobo.

The maximus hero VII I am trying to replace is having no problem posting or retrieving video signal from the onboard. It feels like a curse, it's ddr3 and intel 4790k looks right at home in the case and hugging a new cooler purchased for the new mobo CPU and ram. It's not keeping the new case or cooler though that's that!

Looking at the BIOS on the old mobo, all voltages coming from the PSU are fine.

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Okay so if you can't POST even after doing a cmos reset you've got faulty or incompatible hardware on your hands.

Maybe try the basic pc troubleshooting steps first before you narrow it down to the cpu.
Try one stick of ram at a time.
Try different ram slots.

Maybe try reseating the cpu?
Check for broken or bent socket pins?

Try powering the system on with nothing but the 24pin motherboard power and the cpu power cable plugges in.

Reactions: VirulentS