Question No signal to monitor after RAM upgrade ?

Feb 10, 2023
I've just got round to getting new RAM. Old is 2x8GB 2400MHz, new is 2x16GB 3600MHz. I've taken the old RAM out, put the new in, plug everything back in and boot, but now monitor says no signal ?

I've tried the monitor on a different device (Xbone) and it works fine.

I've tried every DP and HDMI port on both my graphics card and my mobo.

I've tried flashing the BIOS to the latest version.

I've tried clearing the CMOS.

Nothing works. When I put the old RAM back in, the monitor works perfectly, but the new stuff is somehow preventing my monitor from getting signal. Other than that as far I can see everything works, but obviously can't be sure as without a monitor I can't even access UEFI.

Motherboard is ASRock Z170 Pro Gaming i7, and claims to support RAM all the way up to 3866MHz, so it should be fine with this stuff.

Any ideas?

Which CPU is installed? Which BIOS version is the BIOS showing to you?

where did you install the RAM? Should be in slots A2 and B2

which code is DR. DEBUG showing on the motherboard?

how did you clear the CMOS?

did you connect the monitor into the motherboard or a graphics card?

be sure the RAM is completely plugged in and locked

Feb 10, 2023
Which CPU is installed? Which BIOS version is the BIOS showing to you?

where did you install the RAM? Should be in slots A2 and B2

which code is DR. DEBUG showing on the motherboard?

how did you clear the CMOS?

did you connect the monitor into the motherboard or a graphics card?

be sure the RAM is completely plugged in and locked

CPU is i7-6700k and BIOS version is now 7.50 (the latest), previously was 1.60.

I installed the RAM in the same slots I took the old RAM out of, which is indeed A2 and B2.

Cleared CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes and holding the power button down.

As stated, I have tried EVERY HDMI and DP port on both mobo and graphics card. None give any signal with the new RAM installed, but I have no problems when I put the old RAM back.

Edit: presumably DR DEBUG is the little LED display on the mobo? I never realised it had a name. Anyway, error code is 55, which apparently is "memory not detected". I'm sure it is seated properly, it took a lot more effort to get in right than the old, low-profile RAM I'm replacing!

Last edited:
CPU is i7-6700k and BIOS version is now 7.50 (the latest), previously was 1.60.

I installed the RAM in the same slots I took the old RAM out of, which is indeed A2 and B2.

Cleared CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes and holding the power button down.

As stated, I have tried EVERY HDMI and DP port on both mobo and graphics card. None give any signal with the new RAM installed, but I have no problems when I put the old RAM back.

Edit: presumably DR DEBUG is the little LED display on the mobo? I never realised it had a name. Anyway, error code is 55, which apparently is "memory not detected". I'm sure it is seated properly, it took a lot more effort to get in right than the old, low-profile RAM I'm replacing!
Test the new ram one stick at a time see if it makes a diff.

Feb 10, 2023
Test the new ram one stick at a time see if it makes a diff.

I've tried this too, it still didn't work.

which RAM did you get?

Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 2x16GB 3600MHz. Version number is 3.31 which apparently makes it Micron Rev.B if that matters

Edit: OK I've tried clearing the CMOS with the reset button as suggested, but this has seemingly achieved nothing, I am still having the same issue with the same error code, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023
OK so I've tried putting all 4 sticks in together (old in A2 and B2, new in A1 and B1) hoping that it would give me signal to get me into the UEFI, and it has. All 4 sticks are showing up for a total of 48GB but all at 2133MHz as I've cleared the CMOS so no XMP profile is selected.

So clearly the mobo does in fact see and recognise the new RAM sticks, so now I'm just even more confused and have no idea where to go from here.