[SOLVED] No Signal to monitor, assistance is very much so appreciated

May 24, 2020
Hello and salutations. I feel like I am posting this in the wrong place, my apologies, I am new here. So I am building my first PC, and I have put it together. I go to turn it on and the monitor(an HP monitor), says no display. I try to swap to the HDMI(which works cuz I tested it on my ps4 later) to my graphics card, still no display. I disassemble it, and assemble it again, making sure I got everything right, still nothing. The only thing I have not done is install the drivers via the disc drive because I have not got that in the mail yet. I have installed everything as to my motherboards recommendations, though it came with no standoff screws and the case only came with two. I installed them where I saw the motherboard should not touch the back of the PC, still no display. I am ordering more screws as well and maybe try running it out of the case to see if it'll display anything but I am new to this and don't want to mess anything up any further. So I am pretty much out of options.
Here are the parts I used via pcpartpicker.com:
CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor(It came with a fan for the cpu)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
That's all the parts I got and they are apparently all compatible. I tried turning it on without the case's lid attached. It did turn on but I believe I heard a small "zzt" noise so I turned it off. I will wait on the screws to arrive later in the week since I assume it is touching the case somewhere under the motherboard, probably where I screwed the motherboard into the case without the standoffs(because they only came with two and I live in a place where pc shops 'cept Bestbuy do not exist). Well, that's all I got, Sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to explain as much as I can. Any help is much appreciated, thanks and stay safe.

Solution
You don't need a case. You can put the entire pc together on the box the motherboard came in. It's called 'breadboarding' and is often done in situations where a possible case short is a possible issue. A case isn't much more than a box to put everything and keep it relatively dust free and pet proof.

It's also much easier to assemble/disassemble or swap parts. It's the basis behind a test bench.
Hello and salutations. I feel like I am posting this in the wrong place, my apologies, I am new here. So I am building my first PC, and I have put it together. I go to turn it on and the monitor(an HP monitor), says no display. I try to swap to the HDMI(which works cuz I tested it on my ps4 later) to my graphics card, still no display. I disassemble it, and assemble it again, making sure I got everything right, still nothing. The only thing I have not done is install the drivers via the disc drive because I have not got that in the mail yet. I have installed everything as to my motherboards recommendations, though it came with no standoff screws and the case only came with two. I installed them where I saw the motherboard should not touch the back of the PC, still no display. I am ordering more screws as well and maybe try running it out of the case to see if it'll display anything but I am new to this and don't want to mess anything up any further. So I am pretty much out of options.
Here are the parts I used via pcpartpicker.com:
CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor(It came with a fan for the cpu)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Graphics Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
That's all the parts I got and they are apparently all compatible. I tried turning it on without the case's lid attached. It did turn on but I believe I heard a small "zzt" noise so I turned it off. I will wait on the screws to arrive later in the week since I assume it is touching the case somewhere under the motherboard, probably where I screwed the motherboard into the case without the standoffs(because they only came with two and I live in a place where pc shops 'cept Bestbuy do not exist). Well, that's all I got, Sorry for the wall of text, but I wanted to explain as much as I can. Any help is much appreciated, thanks and stay safe.
If it was touching the case and made a short somewhere it's very likely you burnt something in MB. Take everything out of the case and try with only minimal components on a non conductive surface.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I assume it is touching the case somewhere under the motherboard, probably where I screwed the motherboard into the case without the standoffs

That's not much different than sticking your hand in boiling water to test if it's hot.

Your best hope right now is that the protective circuitry inside the psu shut it down before any real damage was done. The purpose of the standoffs is to prevent the thousands of electrified solder joints on the back of the motherboard from touching the grounded motherboard tray. Which you bypassed.

I'd be shocked if the motherboard survived, you'll probably find at least one nice black scortch mark under one of the motherboard power sockets, if not both and multiple as you direct shorted the 3.3, 5v+ and 12v rails.

Best of luck 🍀🤞

May 24, 2020
Hello
So sorry I am late to responding. So I pulled out the motherboard from the case and thankfully there were no black spots, burn marks, or obvious signs of a shorting both on the back and the front so thank my lucky stars for that. But I am really trying to not mess with it till the standoff screws get here. I took pictures of the motherboard and case and I will upload those sooner than later.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You don't need a case. You can put the entire pc together on the box the motherboard came in. It's called 'breadboarding' and is often done in situations where a possible case short is a possible issue. A case isn't much more than a box to put everything and keep it relatively dust free and pet proof.

It's also much easier to assemble/disassemble or swap parts. It's the basis behind a test bench.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
May 24, 2020
Oh cool, I will try that if all else fails. I actually got the screws in yesterday but the are too small so I had too reorder a different set. Where do you guys order your screws and stuff at? 'cuz amazon's selection is kind of "lacking"

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amazon, newegg, eBay, local hardware store, automotive store.

I actually prefer eBay for stuff like this because they have tons of different stuff. Quite often there's a difference in sizes, some cases use mm size standoff thread, some use 6/32 etc, but the standoffs almost always include the matching screws/washers unless you hunt a non-screw kit down.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12pcs-Comp...771345?hash=item4458c04391:g:yQAAAOSwFq1bClAF

US shipped. You can get cheaper if shipped from China, like that set for $1.99, but you'll be waiting a while.

May 24, 2020
Hello and Salutations.
So great news, it just booted on, display and all a few moments ago. It actually booted via the graphics card so hooray that works too. I tried the breadboarding thing and it initially did not give me a signal. Put in the install drivers setup cd from msi, still no dice. Finally took out a ram slot, left to tell roommate the news came back and it was on. I really would like to not have it exposed to the elements, so I ordered a different set of standing screws. Here is to hoping these fit better that the other ones. All in all, happy for progress, thanks for the help.