No signal to monitor.. Worked in the past

G

Hey, I recently switched cases, and i've had issues with it.. I have everything connected correctly, and they all worked about, 3 days ago or so. My harddrives boot on another motherboard, graphics card does also (fan works). Tried each ram stick indivdually, including another motherboards ram, even tried another graphics card. I'm dumb founded.. Its built myself.. I dont believe it would be CPU, or CPU socket related seeing as all fans are running, and it boots. I reset the CMOS by the battery, obviously not bios seeing as i dont even get a display. I'm very frustarted.. Ill be grateful if anyone on can help me out.. AIM, MSN, or Yahoo would be greatly appriciated to talk through.. I'm desperate.. I'm out of ideas here.. -.- Thank you.

G

Nothing broke, what do you mean? I was just switching cases, and getting a new CPU fan for my i7 920. My CPU fan died, causing my computer to shut down instantly 92C isnt good D: and my case fans were dying.

So let me see if I got this right . . . you built a PC that worked . . . right up until it shut down at 92C. Then you put it in a new case, with a new cooler, and now nothing shows up on the screen.

Assuming that's right, check your cpu power cable and make sure its connected. I got your symptoms on one build after forgetting to do that.

More likely, unfortunately, is you may have fried your cpu (or mobo socket). I'm guessing that because I'm also guessing you booted the old system a few times after the cooler failed. (It's normally pretty hard to know that your cpu shut down ONCE at EXACTLY 92C lol, though not impossible.) I lost a cpu that way a few months ago.

You say your graphics card fan "spins" on another system - does it show BIOS onscreen on that system? If so, I'm back to cpu (or mobo socket) failure. If not, and if your system sounds like it is actually booting (disks not just spinning, but also clunking), then its likely the graphics card.

G

I dont get signal period :| even with another mobo... its not the graphics either though, because other graphics card doesnt work either.. Is it possibly because the screws are in crooked on the mobo? and its not tight? They're all in crooked and i cant get them off the mobo screws (The mounts) they went in crooked, i went to take them out, it unscrewed the mobo mount too.. the HAF 922 is a pain in the ass...

G

So, i fixed the issue with my motherboard touching, but i noticed it still happens.. the temp gauge on my motherboard is no longer lighting up and showing the temperture.. i'm starting to believe its my CPU fried... would the computer do such a thing? Start up everything works, but no display if the CPU was fired? I hope not.. i7 920's are not cheap... -.-

Now that we know you put the mobo mounts in crooked, you should take the mobo OUT of the case, put it on a non-conductive surface, and try to run it. You never mentioned you had a "mobo touching" problem, and I'm not sure how you know you have fixed it.

Check the underside of the mobo for damage. If all you did was screw it down onto crooked mounts, surface scratches near the holes should be no problem. Cracks in the mobo may be a different issue.

But I'm coming back again to fried cpu - did you or did you not have only ONE instance of 92C temperature shutdown? Did you try and boot it again after the fan failed? Not after you first noticed the fan failed, but any time after it failed to cool enough? As I said, I have melted a stock cpu this way when a sealed water cooler stopped circulating.

You can check the cpu for visible damage, but really the only sure way to test is a cpu swap.