Question No Signal to Monitor

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Hello there, I've been having this problem for over a month and I'm completely stumped as to what to do. So what's happening is that I'm getting no signal to my computer monitor even though the computer seems to power on. I've tried everything I can find on the internet and nothing is working.

My original specs were:
Mobo: MSI B250 Mortar Arctic
CPU: Intel g4560
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 1060
PSU: Seasonic 520w
RAM: G.Skill Aegis 8gb

Since I began trouble shooting I've swapped out parts. The first thing I tried was a new GPU (I returned it when I realized it didn't work so I could afford to try other things)

My new specs are
Mobo: Biostar TB250-BTC Pro
CPU: Intel g4400
GPU (same)
PSU: Corsair CX 550
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX

Like I said, I've tried everything I could find on the internet and Im still getting no signal, even after replacing so many parts. Next week I'll be able to replace the GPU again, but I'm not sure if that's the issue. I know that before I started having this problem, it turned off once and didn't display but it started working again on its own. Then I heard the "device disconnected" sound before it powered off again and it hasn't worked ever since.

Im extremely frustrated because I just can not figure out what's causing this problem. Any help would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Do you get a signal when the monitor is plugged in to the motherboard?
Have you already tried different cables - HDMI, DVI/D, DisplayPort?
Thank you very much for your reply. I was never able to use onboard graphics on my old Mobo so it's hard to tell, and my new mobo only supports DVI and I only have access to HDMI

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you very much for your reply. I was never able to use onboard graphics on my old Mobo so it's hard to tell, and my new mobo only supports DVI and I only have access to HDMI
We need to start somewhere...
It could be the gpu, the monitor, or even the cables - these being the only things you haven't changed, right?

If running of the onboard graphics is a no-go...
Then how about a spare gpu to test with - which you likely don't have?
A new HDMI or DVI cable?
Testing with another monitor, or a TV perhaps?

Reactions: JackieLombardi

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
We need to start somewhere...
It could be the gpu, the monitor, or even the cables - these being the only things you haven't changed, right?

If running of the onboard graphics is a no-go...
Then how about a spare gpu to test with - which you likely don't have?
A new HDMI or DVI cable?
Testing with another monitor, or a TV perhaps?
I've previously tested a different HDMI cable and got no results, I plugged my monitor up to a known working computer and it works fine so I know it's not that. And a new GPU was the first thing I tried, but that was on my old motherboard.

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I've previously tested a different HDMI cable and got no results, I plugged my monitor up to a known working computer and it works fine so I know it's not that. And a new GPU was the first thing I tried, but that was on my old motherboard.
Also, like I said before I can try another GPU next weekend, but I wanted to see if there was something else I was possibly missing because if that doesn't work then I'm stumped

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-tested with a different HDMI cable, and nothing
-plugged current monitor to a different PC: it does get a signal, so the monitor is working

That really just leaves your current GTX 1060...
Well, there's also removing your cpu and checking the socket for bent/broken pins.

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
-tested with a different HDMI cable, and nothing
-plugged current monitor to a different PC: it does get a signal, so the monitor is working

That really just leaves your current GTX 1060...
Well, there's also removing your cpu and checking the socket for bent/broken pins.
I checked for bent pins early on in the process, but when I get my new GPU I'll update this thread. Thank you so much again for your help

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Hello again! So it appears that getting a new video card hasn't fixed the issue either. I have all new components in my case right now so I have no idea what to do anymore. I bought a Radeon RX 580.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have just one other idea, after that, I'll have to ask around...

Based on everything that's been covered so far, you've replaced just about everything, and still no signal.
Has the storage drive(s) also been replaced - that is to say, the boot drive? What are they?

After all that's happened, I'm thinking a crucial step may have been overlooked?
-The necessary motherboard standoffs are being used? There isn't a stray standoff making direct contact beneath the mobo?
-When powering on the PC, does any of the following diagnostic LEDs remain lit on the motherboard: red = cpu, yellow/orange = memory, white = vga, green = boot
-Power supply connections all properly seated? The 8-pin Cpu Power, 24-pin Mobo Power, Gpu PCIE, storage drives...
-Cpu cooler screws weren't over-tightened? The extra pressure from this can bend/break the socket pins.
-Both ram sticks are fully seated in the motherboard?
-Do the fans remain on at all?

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I have just one other idea, after that, I'll have to ask around...

Based on everything that's been covered so far, you've replaced just about everything, and still no signal.
Has the storage drive(s) also been replaced - that is to say, the boot drive? What are they?

After all that's happened, I'm thinking a crucial step may have been overlooked?
-The necessary motherboard standoffs are being used? There isn't a stray standoff making direct contact beneath the mobo?
-When powering on the PC, does any of the following diagnostic LEDs remain lit on the motherboard: red = cpu, yellow/orange = memory, white = vga, green = boot
-Power supply connections all properly seated? The 8-pin Cpu Power, 24-pin Mobo Power, Gpu PCIE, storage drives...
-Cpu cooler screws weren't over-tightened? The extra pressure from this can bend/break the socket pins.
-Both ram sticks are fully seated in the motherboard?
-Do the fans remain on at all?
Hello again, I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, I found out that I actually did have bent pins on my new motherboard, so I replaced it, but now a new problem has arised, it seems that after I plugged everything in and booted it up, the PSU started smoking. I'm not sure what caused this, but this is the 2nd time it's happening, the PSU I'm using now is actually a replacement because I thought it was a problem with it. The motherboard I have doesn't have any standoffs that came with it. I double checked to make sure all the power supply cords were seated properly. The motherboard does not have LED feedback, and the PSU/GPU fans remain on. I don't have my cooler plugged up for testing purposes. I seem to still be getting no display, but I'm not leaving it on for too long because of the PSU smoking. This is all getting quite frustrating 😣

Last edited:

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Hello again, I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, I found out that I actually did have bent pins on my new motherboard, so I replaced it, but now a new problem has arised, it seems that after I plugged everything in and booted it up, the PSU started smoking. I'm not sure what caused this, but this is the 2nd time it's happening, the PSU I'm using now is actually a replacement because I thought it was a problem with it. The motherboard I have doesn't have any standoffs that came with it. I double checked to make sure all the power supply cords were seated properly. The motherboard does not have LED feedback, and the PSU/GPU fans remain on. I don't have my cooler plugged up for testing purposes.

Also, I have not replaced the boot drive. It's a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM. I'm running it without the HDD for now because I read that the PC is supposed to at least display without one connected even if it can't boot

lynx1021

Distinguished
Have you looked under the motherboard to make sure there are no extra standoffs touching the board where there are no holes? I know of one guy bolted his motherboard to the case and blew up his PSU and motherboard because he didn't know what the standoffs do.

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Have you looked under the motherboard to make sure there are no extra standoffs touching the board where there are no holes? I know of one guy bolted his motherboard to the case and blew up his PSU and motherboard because he didn't know what the standoffs do.
I actually just checked it, and there already are standoffs in the case - the motherboard is not touching the case and there are small white prongs going into the bolted standoffs so I know I'm good there.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh dear, that's no good at all. That psu is done for...
I found out that I actually did have bent pins on my new motherboard, so I replaced it
Glad you were able to narrow it down though. Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of the trouble...

I'm not sure what caused this, but this is the 2nd time it's happening, the PSU I'm using now is actually a replacement because I thought it was a problem with it.
So you lost the 520w Seasonic because of the same issue? That would tell me there's a short somewhere, or by some crazy coincidence, you ended up with 2 lemon power supplies...

The motherboard I have doesn't have any standoffs that came with it.
I know, they're assembled and installed in the case. When you first work inside the case, there are a number of little screw stubs where the actual standoffs are to be screwed in. The standoffs must line up with the mobo holes.
If they don't, that can be cause for a short.

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Oh dear, that's no good at all. That psu is done for...

Glad you were able to narrow it down though. Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of the trouble...

So you lost the 520w Seasonic because of the same issue? That would tell me there's a short somewhere, or by some crazy coincidence, you ended up with 2 lemon power supplies...

I know, they're assembled and installed in the case. When you first work inside the case, there are a number of little screw stubs where the actual standoffs are to be screwed in. The standoffs must line up with the mobo holes.
If they don't, that can be cause for a short.
Thank you for replying again! And yeah, I'm very disappointed that the new motherboard didn't fix it...

the 520W Seasonic isn't the one I lost to that smoking issue, I've lost two Corsair CX 650M's to it. It seems like either a crazy coincidence or something I'm doing wrong that the first one I got AND the replacement had this issue. I'm using my old Seasonic again now because it honestly seems to be working fine. I'm just still not getting a signal. It's not even 5 years old yet and it seems to power everything in my PC.

Do you think that the Mobo not bring on the standoffs could cause the no signal issue? At this point I have no idea what to do.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've lost two Corsair CX 650M's to it. It seems like either a crazy coincidence or something I'm doing wrong that the first one I got AND the replacement had this issue.
This right here... did you buy a different CX 650, or did you go through the RMA process, they 'fixed' it, but sent you the same unit back?
Nevermind, I think that would be pretty hard to tell if that happened.

What's needed for a signal to the monitor:
1)A working monitor: you already tested this with another PC; the monitor works

2)Working monitor/signal cables: also tested to work

3)Integrated gpu: basically, no bent or broken pins in the motherboard socket - well, you could actually do with a few, but it's impossible to tell the function for each one of those gold pins...
You're following the proper mounting procedure, right? Lining up the small triangle on the cpu with the one on the mobo retention bracket? You can easily bend/break pins by simply not following this.
Discreet gpu: Neither the GTX 1060 nor the RX 580 appeared to work... if the cards are sitting properly in the PCIE slot, the psu cables are plugged in to the gpu and so is the monitor, then they should work, unless by some stupid coincidence they're both lemons - I don't believe it.
This one here could be the motherboard's doing. Some motherboard models have restricted power delivery through the PCIE slot, about half of the standard 75w(?), intended for low power gpus - I have no idea about this mining mobo, and the product page isn't very helpful either, but a GTX 1060 shouldn't have any issue running on this.

4)Power supply: obviously, if nothing comes on, or stays running, this would be the first suspect, but that's not the case here. The old Seasonic worked - still works, both the Corsairs worked before they mysteriously went kaput.

Do you think that the Mobo not bring on the standoffs could cause the no signal issue? At this point I have no idea what to do.
This should just cause a short, but I could be wrong here

Also, I have not replaced the boot drive. It's a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM. I'm running it without the HDD for now because I read that the PC is supposed to at least display without one connected even if it can't boot
Not sure about this. I think it would either take you straight to bios, or give you some sort of boot device missing warning. I think you should leave this connected.

JackieLombardi

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
You're following the proper mounting procedure, right? Lining up the small triangle on the cpu with the one on the mobo retention bracket? You can easily bend/break pins by simply not following this.
I am, I double checked because incorrect installation of the CPU is actually how I bent the pins on my other Mobo.

if the cards are sitting properly in the PCIE slot, the psu cables are plugged in to the gpu and so is the monitor, then they should work, unless by some stupid coincidence they're both lemons - I don't believe it.

Yeah they're both seated properly in there, and in addition to that, the fans spin and the blue light comes on in the case of the RX 580 so I know there's no problems there. Even the auxillary LED light I have (NZXT Hue+) lights up letting me know that it's on. the PC appears to be fully functional which is what's so weird about this. I'm trying to find if there's anything I'm overlooking and like I said, things appear to be connected/seated correctly.