No signal to *one* monitor from newly built PC, despite PC giving signal to other monitors and monitor working with another PC

la_cuna

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Here's the problem and the troubleshooting I've performed thus far:

I just built a PC for the first time (parts list at the end), and to my shock and delight everything seems to be working properly. Everything spins up, and combined with a successful test boot (I was able to poke around in the BIOS) the day before using just my CPU graphics on a friend's monitor, I'm optimistic.

When I try to hook the PC up to the monitor I bought (ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27"), though, there's no signal. I've tried using both HDMI and DisplayPort (and tried hooking both connectors into every single port on both the motherboard and the graphics card itself, in case there's a preferred port), but no dice.

(First of all, I'm aware that there are many, many posts about this particular monitor having "no signal" problems through DisplayPort. That's not the issue here, or if it is, it's not the only issue, since I can't even get a signal from my new PC using HDMI.)

Could be a problem with my CPU, memory, motherboard, or graphics card hardware installation, right? Or maybe there's a problem with the ports on my motherboard or graphics card? I went over to my HDTV and hooked my graphics card up to the TV via HDMI (using the same HDMI cable, which came with my monitor, that I was using to test earlier), and the BIOS displays flawlessly. So it's not a mechanical problem with the PC hardware or the ports, at least as far as I can tell.

Okay, so that means there's a problem with my monitor, or the ports in my monitor, right? I take the same HDMI cable I've been using and hook the monitor up to my MacBook, and I instantly have a perfectly functioning second monitor for my laptop. So clearly the monitor works, or can work, perfectly well through the same HDMI port and using the same HDMI cable.

So what's the deal? I've gone through the forums and haven't found this specific problem. The only thing I can think of that I haven't had a chance to try yet is to go ahead and install the OS (I've got Windows 10 on a flash drive) and update all the drivers, and now that I know I can use my TV as a monitor for the time being, I'm going to do that tonight. But based on what I've read and the advice of people more experienced than I am, that wouldn't explain why I could get the BIOS to display on a TV and on another monitor but still have no signal at all on the monitor I purchased, especially given that that same monitor is clearly working fine through the HDMI port at the very least (I can't test the DisplayPort with the other hardware I have just yet, but frankly I'd be content with HDMI for the time being).

Thanks, and sorry if I missed something extremely obvious.

The PC:

CPU: Intel i7-7700K
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Turbo Cooling (GV-N1080TTOC-8GD)
Motherboard: MSI Arsenal Gaming Z270M
CPU fan: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400
Memory: 8GB (2 x 4GB) Viper Elite Series DDR4 2800MHz
Power supply: SeaSonic S12II Series 620W 12V 80 Plus Bronze
SSD: MyDigitalSSD 128GB BPX 80mm (2280) M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB SATA 3.5"
Case: Cougar Solution ATX Mid Tower

la_cuna

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

It clearly works, though, at least through the HDMI port---I plugged my laptop in and it instantly worked as a second display. Is there a monitor defect that would explain the monitor working through the same port and cable when it's connected to one computer but not another?

TRENDING THREADS