Question No Signal to Peripherals | Fans and Lights Turn on | 4 years old

Jostiuk

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
Hopefully this is the right spot, I am a little new to PC building.

Approximately 2 months ago, I experienced a power failure which cut power to my PC. I was a little worried but it booted fine. Before this though, the main monitor had been losing signal and showing an amber light for a few seconds and then returning as normal, which happened for about 2 weeks.

A few days after that, I plugged in my VR (Samsung Odyssey+) which immediately froze my PC and gave no signal to the headset. Additionally, my secondary monitor had lost signal too. (Main monitor still maintained signal)
I hard shut down my PC and then tried to turn it back on. It wasn't working, and it only worked after 5-6 attempts. This booted me into BIOS, which I exited and everything worked completely fine.
This went on for about 3 days, turning on my PC for the day required that I turn it on and off 5-6 times to enter BIOS.

I got a little fed up and decided to leave it in sleep mode overnight, but when I returned to it, it wouldn't boot at all.
There is no power to my keyboard (except a small flicker when I turn on the PC) or monitors.

My specs are:
ASUS z170m-plus motherboard
GTX 1050ti Zotac 4gb
Intel i3-7350K @ 4.20ghz
2x 8gb ram @ 2400mhz
250gb hdd
480gb ssd
500w evga 80 plus power supply.

It's also worth noting that I have had this pc for 4 years, and I have had no problems. (This started randomly)

What I've tried:
  • Reading pinned thread
  • Reading / trying every other thread on this topic
  • Replacing the mobo (exact same model, just brand new)
  • Checking the power supply (Used tester, no warnings)
  • Verifying correct connections with mobo
  • Booting without HDD / SSD plugged in
  • Booting without GPU
  • Booting without ram
  • Replacing ram with alternate ram
  • Cleaning ram slots
  • Booting without CMOS battery
  • Replacing CMOS battery
  • Shorting CMOS
  • Trying different monitors
  • Using onboard graphics ports
  • Using low voltage peripheral (external ssd) which proves power is flowing due to blinking light.
The only thing I have not tried is using some sort of speaker, although it doesn't make total sense because the mobo is brand new and the other components wouldn't send a beep.

If anyone has any sort of guidance or ideas, let me know.

Ralston18

Titan
If the motherboard does not have a speaker (buzzer) then you will need to connect one to hear any beep code error patterns from the motherboard.

FYI:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1029959/

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/asus-beep-codes.html

Verify that the link is applicable to your computer and also check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Double check all connections, card seatings, RAM and jumpers.

= = = =

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings and even informational events.

Reliability History presents a timeline format so look back starting two months ago and then pay close attention to the last two weeks.

Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors are symptomatic of a failing/faltering PSU.

Regarding the PSU : age (4 years?) Condition: Original, new (age), refurbished, used? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or mining? What tester did you use?

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it then you can do some additional testing:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-man...test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. Any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU a prime suspect.

Jostiuk

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
If the motherboard does not have a speaker (buzzer) then you will need to connect one to hear any beep code error patterns from the motherboard.

FYI:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1029959/

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/asus-beep-codes.html

Verify that the link is applicable to your computer and also check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Double check all connections, card seatings, RAM and jumpers.

= = = =

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings and even informational events.

Reliability History presents a timeline format so look back starting two months ago and then pay close attention to the last two weeks.

Increasing numbers of errors and varying errors are symptomatic of a failing/faltering PSU.

Regarding the PSU : age (4 years?) Condition: Original, new (age), refurbished, used? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or mining? What tester did you use?

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it then you can do some additional testing:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-man...test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. Any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU a prime suspect.
Thanks for the quick response, ordered a bunch of speakers from Amazon that'll get here in 2 days -- hopefully they work.

The PSU has endured some moderately heavy usage in the past (Running particle simulations, gaming, rendering, etc...) but the PSU tester that I used showed it to be within normal ranges. I'll run some more tests with it (and maybe multi-meter) very soon to learn more about what those normal ranges actually are.

I will report back after I've tried your suggestions.

Jostiuk

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
Okay you’ve fixed the no peripherals issue.
I installed a speaker and determined that the ram was the problem, I switched the slots and it worked.
Although it is strange because when this issue started, I had not even touched any of the internals. The only time I had, was to install the ram, which was months prior to this.
Doesn’t make sense, but at least it sort of works now.

Now I have a different issue, after fixing the date and exiting BIOS (as I did before), I am thrown into a windows screen that says “Preparing Automatic Repair”.
This once again doesn’t make sense because my OS was stable when the problem started.
I have attempted to boot windows 10 installation media from a usb, but it has not worked. It shows a command line for approximately 10 seconds and then shows an endless spinning wheel under the windows logo.

Once again, any ideas are welcome.

Jostiuk

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
Okay I’ve been trying to fix it since my last reply, but nothing has happened.
A few days after my last reply, it successfully launched but I had to immediately shut down because of the cpu reaching 100c. I tested a few hours later, and it booted again successfully. I thought then that somehow I had fixed the issue, only needed to replace the fan.

I got a new fan with pre applied thermal compound and took out the mobo and installed it. After successful installation, I put all the connections back in place. Now it won’t boot again, regardless of attempting to boot from usb (tested from windows 11 instead of windows 10, and the logo is different which means for some reason both of the os are failing even from the usb????)
I’ve been able to reach the blue windows 10 repair options screen a couple times after leaving it overnight, but I can’t do anything substantial because I don’t know the admin password.
Any ideas are welcome.

Jostiuk

Prominent
Feb 14, 2022
Another update
Yesterday it booted successfully after leaving the installation media to load for approximately 12 hours. I'm not sure why that happened so if anyone has any ideas, let's hear them.
After shutting down, it won't boot again today.
I'm not sure why but for some reason when booting from the installation media, it doesn't immediately go into any sort of UI. It just displays a command prompt entry line with a blinking underscore (can't type in that), and then launches the windows 10 logo with a loading icon beneath it. I've looked at every conceivable resource and nothing has been relevant to my issue so far. I'm considering making another thread because this is becoming a huge issue on its own.
Any ideas are welcome.

Last edited: