Question No Signal to Switch

Oct 26, 2021
I have theTP Link 5 Port TL-SG1005D switch. I have it configured modem - ethernet - router - long ethernet (40 ft) - switch. I do not get a signal to the switch with this configuration. I have tried the same configuration with 3 40 ft wires and none of them worked (all Cat 5 or Cat 6). When I do the same configuration with ethernet wires in the 3-5 ft range I get a signal (it works fine). Also, when I do the 40 ft run and use a router in bridge mode (instead of the switch), I get a signal). Is there something I can do to get the switch to work at longer lengths?

Not sure why it would work in bridge mode that has nothing to do with cables it is related to IP addresses.

What kind of cables are you using. There are many fake cables in the market and the longer they the more risk of failure. You want pure copper cables (no CCA) with wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables)

kanewolf

Titan
I have theTP Link 5 Port TL-SG1005D switch. I have it configured modem - ethernet - router - long ethernet (40 ft) - switch. I do not get a signal to the switch with this configuration. I have tried the same configuration with 3 40 ft wires and none of them worked (all Cat 5 or Cat 6). When I do the same configuration with ethernet wires in the 3-5 ft range I get a signal (it works fine). Also, when I do the 40 ft run and use a router in bridge mode (instead of the switch), I get a signal). Is there something I can do to get the switch to work at longer lengths?
That switch has "green" ethernet. That may be the reason your long cables aren't working.
Can you post links to the 40 ft cables you have tried? If they are "flat" cables, then that is likely the reason.

Oct 26, 2021
Hi, TP Link customer support was able to help me out. Turns out the power cord is going bad and I am not getting enough voltage for the signal over the long ethernet run. Thanks for the replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS