"No Signal" using mini-DisplayPort

Snoffles

Honorable
Feb 26, 2014
Hi,

I recently bought a new monitor (Asus VG248QE) to use with my Alienware M17xR4. I tried using a mini-DP to DPort cable to connect the two, but I had no luck in doing so. There was no signal on the monitor or sound from my computer indicating that something was plugged in. However, the monitor did recognize that some power was going through it as each time I plugged it in, it would say "DisplayPort NO SIGNAL". I would like to use mini-DP to reach the 144hz capabilities of my new monitor. Here's a list of things that I've tried or noticed.

1. Connectivity works fine via HDMI (currently using this).
2. The mini-DP to DPort cable worked fine when connecting the same monitor to a Macbook.
3. Updated latest GPU drivers for the AMD Radeon HD 7970M (Driver version 14.9, Clean install)
4. Tested using a mini-DP to HDMI adapter for Macs using the same cables on my M17x, no luck.
5. A VGA to HDMI cable worked fine for my previous monitor
EDITS:
6. Bought a different cable and same outcome. Still no signal, but the monitor wakes up and says "No Signal" when I plug it in. My computer still doesn't register anything plugged into it.
7. Tried different combinations of unplugging monitor power/booting comp/plugging in/etc.
8. NOTE: I did not install the drivers that came with the monitor. The available files are for nVidia and I'm running an AMD GPU. Did I miss something here?

Based on this I assumed that the problem was that somehow the mini-DP port was disabled on my computer, but after searching for several hours, I was unable to find a an answer. Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Snoffles

Honorable
Feb 26, 2014

Snoffles

Honorable
Feb 26, 2014
Just got the cord in the mail today, and unfortunately, the same thing happened. No signal. I believe it is something from my computer's end then, but I'm not sure what. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Snoffles

Honorable
Feb 26, 2014

Any other suggestions? I've tried all of the solutions I could fine online and added them to the list. I also just noticed that my integrated graphics card (intel hd 400 I think) does not have a driver and when I tried to re-install it, it said my system did not meet the requirements. Do you think that might effect the mini-DP port at all?

Snoffles

Honorable
Feb 26, 2014

That's unfortunate. I currently don't have any mini-DP to DVI-D cables I could test, but hopefully I can find one and try it out. Still though I'm fairly convinced it's something wrong with my laptop, not the cable or monitors, as they both function using other computers...

Snoffles

Honorable
Feb 26, 2014

Yes actually! Sorry for not posting up!

So actually, the problem was that the integrated graphics card had to be enabled for it to display anything. I turned on switchable graphics using Fn+F7 and reinstalled the drivers, and it worked! I've run into SEVERAL problems after that though, which is actually why I'm back onto these forums. To be honest, I absolutely hate what switchable graphics has to offer. There's a reason why I disabled it and ran solely off of my discrete graphics card in the first place. I've ran into overheating issues, driver detection issues, extremely slow loading issues, etc... My question now is whether I can disable switchable graphics without disabling DisplayPort... and doing research, I can't find anything. I'll post up some info about about my new problems below to see if you or anyone else can help. I might just end up making a new topic if not.

So without modifying my registry or anything, one day my video card fan stopped working (I didn't notice until it was too late). It ended up overheating and was bricked. I purchased a new video card of the same model, and behold, the same problem. Luckily, I learned about HWinfo which lets me control the fan speed manually, and it WORKS. The GPU Thermal Diode is completely functional, but for some reason, the system does not automatically change the speed. Anyways, with that being said, the temperature it runs at while idle when switchable graphics are OFF and connected to my monitor through HDMI, is approximately 39 degrees Celsius (fan is at ~4000 RPM). When running a game such as WoW, the GPU goes up to around 55-60. When I turn on switchable graphics, regardless of if I connect it using HDMI or DPort, it runs at ~60 while idle (fan is at 4500 RPM) and goes up to the point where my comp shuts itself down (a little under 100 degrees Celsius). These tests make me believe that it's not that my heatsink is not properly pasted on or anything like that because the temperature w/o switchable graphics is just fine. Unless there's some crazy way to lower my temps in switchable graphics mode, I'm looking for a way to use dport mode w/o switchable graphics being on.

Snoffles

Honorable
Feb 26, 2014

I have one but it literally does nothing in terms of cooling. I just use it as a stand now. But yeah, it's unfortunate. I'll be cleaning the heatsinks and all that soon so I'll let you know if that helps at all. Otherwise it kinda just sounds like I have to live with it. If that's the case I'll most likely return the monitor.