Question No signal when connecting an HDMI cable

saharmal

Prominent
Jul 21, 2019
Hi,
I'm having some trouble when i'm trying to connect my laptop to a TV screen.
It worked perfectly for about 2 years...and now suddenly there is a "No signal" error.
I tried a different cable, a different monitor, updating my GPU, updating the BIOS...and nothing seems to work.

My laptop is - HP Pavilion 15-bc207tx
GPU - Geforce GTX 1050

Any suggestions what could be the problem?

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
By "updating my GPU" you mean the driver's. Is that correct?

Windows 10 computer? You might try running the built in troubleshooters. They may find and fix something.

Or there may be some error code or warning messages in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

saharmal

Prominent
Jul 21, 2019
Just to confirm, which BIOS version are you on for your laptop? F.52 is the latest found on their support site. Which driver version are you for your Nvidia GPU? Mind also sharing the version for your OS(assuming you're on Windows 10).

Yeah, i got the F.52 BIOS version.
The GPU driver version is 26.21.14.3136.
And i'm using Windows 10, also the latest version.

By "updating my GPU" you mean the driver's. Is that correct?

Windows 10 computer? You might try running the built in troubleshooters. They may find and fix something.

Or there may be some error code or warning messages in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Yes i'm using Windows 10, and i tried the troubleshooters...unfortunately it didn't worked.

Another thing - on Display settings - when i'm clicking the 'Detect' button i get this message: "Didn't detect another display".

Thanks for the quick response

saharmal

Prominent
Jul 21, 2019
If I am following all of the above correctly it appears, to me, that the video port on the laptop may be broken.

Single HDMI port - correct?

Reference - laptop specs at:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05421666
Yes, this is the model, single HDMI port.
Too bad...
I've never replaced one before, is it something you would recommend doing myself? (i have a little experience with electronics) or is it too hard and require some special tools?
If so - do i need to purchase a specific HDMI port or any port will be ok?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
One thing worth checking, unlikely as it is, is whether Windows is still automatically switching your output to HDMI when it's plugged in.

My HDMI works, but sometimes audio, video, or both don't "auto switch" to it. Strangely enough, the easiest way I've found of checking is via the sound icon in the system tray. If you have more than one potential output device attached and hit it, you should see an expansion chevron at the upper right corner. Click that and you should be presented with all of your potential output devices. In my case one of those is "STD HDMI TV" when I have HDMI connected and recognized, whether or not output is currently switched there.

If that doesn't show up when you have an HDMI cable attached to the TV and the TV is set to be accepting input from that cable then I'd suspect a dead HDMI port on the laptop.