Question 'No signal' when loading Windows 10

Mar 13, 2021
Hi guys,

Seem to be having an issue with my GPU (Zotac 1070 Amp Edition).

Due to new work circumstances I've just bought a new gaming laptop with the plan to sell my desktop.

Desktop was running fine. Performed the 'Reset this PC' option to get it ready to sell. This worked fine & everything seemed to be in order - ran the 'Heaven' benchmark, all good. Powered off. Opened it up, did a quick job of cleaning out dust & then left the PC for a week until today. I had someone interested who wanted to arrange collection tomorrow, so I set the desktop up, and sod's law, it wasn't working.

The PC loads as usual, but after 2-3 seconds of the loading swirly circle at the Windows logo (windows 10), I get 'no signal' on my monitor & the fans on the GPU stop spinning. I have an RGB keyboard and I also noticed that when this happens, the keyboard also turns itself off and then on again. The PC itself remains powered on, but no signal is received on the monitor.

When the GPU is removed, the PC boots just fine. The only thing I noticed with the GPU is that one of the two fans seems to spin a little slower than the other, it also has a minor 'wobble' to it. I am however, able to boot in safe mode with the GPU installed.

From here I'm a little lost as to what to do next. Any guidance on what to try and diagnose the issue would be much appreciated! I can do my best to supply any info that might help.

Edit: I should add that I've tried updating my GPU drivers as well as my BIOS, but no joy.
Edit edit: Also just tried a fresh install of Windows. Took out GPU, powered on and used the 'Reset this PC' function again. No issue. Powered off & installed GPU. Same issue persisted and my head hit the desk.

PC Specs:
i7 6700k
MSI Z170A-G43 Plus
Zotac GTX 1070 Amp edition
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz (2 x 8GB)
XFX XTR Series 80 Plus Gold 750W Fully Modular

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021
Now don't I feel stupid... it was a faulty DP cable :LOL:

When the GPU was uninstalled I was using a HDMI cable via the MB. I was staring at it blankly thinking "What next?" and realised I hadn't tried the HDMI port on the GPU. So switched it from the MB to the GPU and bam, instantly worked. I then thought "Damn, maybe the DP output on the GPU is busted" but I went and found another DP cable and voila. No issue.

Interesting that the "faulty" DP cable would work up until the windows login screen? Would be interesting to know why if anyone knows? And as for the fans stopping spinning, I guess it turns out that they power down once the login screen has loaded. But both of these things combined gave me the illusion that there was an issue with the GPU, or it not getting enough juice from the PSU, or a driver issue etc. Turns out it was something much simpler! A reminder to perhaps check the simplest things first.

TRENDING THREADS