No signal when plugged in gpu, but works fine with on board graphics.

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Title says it all.
And please, Im not a complete idiot who doesn't know where to plug in cables. As I have two monitors, none of them work when connected to gpu but both work when connected to onboard.
I have Msi 760 factory oc edition
I5-4670k
Asrock z87 pro4
600w corsair psu
8 gigs of ram
250gig ssd

Solution
well seems like your card has seen better days... it doesn't make any sense to stop working without changing anything and it is not your motherboard because the other PCIe slot doesn't work either... I don't see any other solutions

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

You think i'm an idiot? I've had this computer for around 3 years and you're saying i've been using it without psu cables plugged in gpu?

I have a feeling you didnt even read... I said I have 600w psu and gpu has been OC'd a little for last 2 months, but I highly doubt that has to do with anything.

frank_hnd

Honorable

1. there wasn't any indication that you have been using that card for a long time, I assumed you installed it for the first time.
2. you'd be amazed by the amount of people who forget to plug those cables....
3. I didn't read well, somehow my brain read 500W. I'm sorry about that
4. your card is dead, is it still under warranty?

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
4. your card is dead, is it still under warranty?

No.. How can it be dead so fast? It's only been going for under 3 years... It was working perfectly yesterday..
The gpu was manufactured in september 2013 if that changes anything.

frank_hnd

Honorable

your motherboard has another PCIe slot, correct? try it out in another slot.

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

Will try!

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

I plugged it in the second slot, but my pc keeps using the onboard graphics when i turn it on, even tho in bios I set pci express as primary option.

frank_hnd

Honorable
well seems like your card has seen better days... it doesn't make any sense to stop working without changing anything and it is not your motherboard because the other PCIe slot doesn't work either... I don't see any other solutions

Solution

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Turns out my GPU has 3 year warranty, howewer, I thought it was only 2 so I changed the thermal paste about 5-6 months ago... I really hope that won't void my warranty since there is a sticker on one of the screws that says it's void if removed. Global mod on msi forum did say warranty is not usualy void if you're just doing that... Fingers crossed.

frank_hnd

Honorable

well, it depends on the seller. some are trying to avoid RMA units and will do anything they can to tell you that warranty has been voided.

some are actually quite understanding and don't even check the labels and stuff.

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

The seller themselves did send it further to RMA, but can the guys over there who recieved my gpu still refuse to fix it/give me new one or one that works?

frank_hnd

Honorable

did they tell you what the problem was?

try fighting out that you tried reapplying thermal paste to fix the problem and didn't know that broke the warranty.

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
They said that warranty refused cause I broke the sticker on screw basically.
As a reply I sent them links to a few topics from official MSI forums where global moderator says it's okay to break the seal in order to change thermal paste and that it doesn't void warranty.

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
@frank_hnd
Okay, I just got my gpu from the online retailer back.... I for some reason waned to test if my gpu works for the last time... it does. I am however puting my pc sideways, maybe it has something to do with that?

frank_hnd

Honorable

thats strange. do you have GPU sag or have noticed your PCIe slot is cracked or something?
you installed the GPU and left the PC sideways and are afraid of moving it back up?

veldrane2

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

don't know your specific board, but on mine i have an option to not just assign primary, but entirely disable the onboard graphics which is what i had to do. does yours have anything like that ?

if not, borrow a card from someone, any PCIE card, even an old dinky one from somewhere, disable the onboard graphics and plug it in, see what happens, if it works, then you know your vid card bit the dust, if not then the problem is somewhere else.

also, just cause you ran your card for 3 years and OCd it for last 2 months means nothing. there is a good chance that something got fried but not completely, maybe a wire within a PSU cable, or a power route on the mobo or where the PCIE pins are soldered down, etc. many things can happen.

sometimes its even the cable going from your GPU to monitor, a pin will go out on it on one end or the other, though since both your monitors dont work, my vote is for the GPU

when you power up your comp with PCIE GPU enabled do the fans come on ? does it have any LEDs on it that come on ? or is it completely dead ?

but, like i said, slap in an old card from somewhere, then you'll know.

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

It's so weird rn.
When I had no gpu drivers running it was all fine. I installed gpu drivers and then it boots into windows but right before switching to desktop it hangs up on those little spinning circles. I go into safemode, it works again.
Now I put my gpu into second pci-e slot and it works fine, the drivers are working and pc completly recognises the gpu.

frank_hnd

Honorable

before doing that remember to back up all your important data and check your HDD/SSD for errors.
physically cleaning your system also helps to keep things ticking the right way.

KikisX

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

I recently refreshed(reinstall with keeping my files) my windows... Actualy, now that I think... all of this started to happen after the windows refresh..

frank_hnd

Honorable

do a clean installation, save everything somewhere else and completely start from scratch

TRENDING THREADS