No Signal With Intel HD, going from HDMI (PC) to DVI (monitor)

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I'm trying to use the integrated graphics (Intel HD 2500) of a Dell Vostro 470. It has VGA and HDMI connectors. The monitor is a Samsung S24A650D. It has VGA, DVI, and DP connectors.

When I hook up the monitor via VGA, it works just fine. This kinda verifies that the onboard graphics is activated in BIOS (I checked on that anyway). However, I can't get a signal when I use a HDMI-to-DVI cable.

I already replaced the cable so I don't think a defect cable is the issue here. Obviously, I do not want to drive a 1920x1080 panel via an analog VGA signal. Therefore, any pointers on how to get HDMI to DVI (or HDMI to DP) to work would be highly appreciated.

randomkid

Distinguished
VGA have no problem at 1920x1080. The quality difference will not be noticeable vs HDMI at this resolution. Generally, VGA connection is even easier to setup than HDMI.

If you have a TV with HDMI, try to connect it to your PC with a straight HDMI cable to isolate the port & the HDMI->DVI cable.

How long is the cable (HDMI to DVI)?
Those cables aren't standard and won't work very well over a long distance, my 2 cents would say use a meter or a meter and a half cable when any sort of conversions are being done.
Although the distance sounds ridiculous but that is a limitation of certain equipment. And it's pretty difficult to get past those.

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

Thanks for the suggestion but using VGA is not an option. I require HDCP support. My question is about getting the HDMI out to work.

It's not the cable. I just tested the cable on another box and it works. But I will try hooking up the Vostro to a TV using a straight HDMI-to-HDMI cable. I will report back on that (it may take a while, though--not sure i have an HDMI-to-HDMI cable at hand.)

In the meantime, does anyone have other thoughts on the problem?

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

The cable I currently use is 2m (=6ft or so). I will try with a shorter cable. Thanks for the suggestion. Again, it may take a while until I report back as I do not have a shorter cable at hand.

No problem, also try and see if you manage to get your hands on a HDMI to DVI adapter. Make sure the HDMI matches the specs of the Vostro and then connect a DVI to DVI cable to the telly..... that could be a better option than trying out stuff with those cables, cos, actually they aren't that cheap. Something like this:-
DVI_f_HDMI_m_profile_web_150.jpg

spyfish

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Not really, HDMI carry the exact same digital Video dignal as DVI. So there is no conversion as such happening.

HDMI is capable of higher bandwidth, but the HDMI to DVI converters its just a matter of mapping Pins. This is why HDMI to DVI cables and converters are relatively inexpensive.

DVI source to HDMI devices is usually no problem. HDMI source to DVI device might need some Driver settings to work.

Just make sure your graphic card is set to 8 bit RGB. And not 8 bit, 10 bit, or 12 bit YCbCr

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-dvi-hdmi-hdcp-connections-11-2004.html

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
hi
HDMI to DVI works but to the best of my knowledge it can only be single link dvi i think. If you are trying with a adapter or cable with dual link dvi, please try with a single link to see wether it will work or not.
The other thing is that I dont think that DVI supports HDCP. so even if you use the dvi port, there might be no hdcp. Im not sure on this though.

I'd love to see Spyfish map the pins and create a cable like that. No really, 'cos after going thru atleast 5 kinds of adapter and converters and not to mention an 'n' number of cables, I gave up.
It would be a relief to see that happen practically and not just on paper.

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

Just to clarify: the monitor does not detect a signal. I cannot even see a BIOS screen when the monitor is hooked up via the HDMI-to-DVI cable. So I'm not sure how I would be able to make any settings for the graphics card. Also, the only integrated-graphics related option in the BIOS is the option to enable/disable intel multi display. i experimented with both settings, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

thanks. i think the adapter is single link as it misses the additional pins which would be present on dual-link DVI.

from quick googling, it appears you might be right about that. HDCP is required for HDMI but optional for DVI-D. still, my priority at this point is to get the HDMI out to work and worry about the other stuff later :)

spyfish

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Why would i do that :)

I'll let the cable manufacturers handle that part. Cables are cheap anyway. If you are cusious you can always dissect a converted or cable and have a look.

But back to the issue, I am using HDMI to DVI cable, but from the DVI port of my GTX card to HDMI on the TV. So the other way around. This works just fine with HDCP.

I have my HD 3000 disabled.

But i see on Intel forums other people seem to have similar issues with the Intel HD Graphic. Seems to be widespread issues unresolved from Intels side. Some people are using a workaround of Disabling, the Re enable the "Intel HD Graphics" from device manager every time they boot windows.

Not sure this is applicable to you, but maybe worth a try.