• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

No SMART information when using HD Tune?

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I recently built a computer and I was going to use HD Tune to look at the hard drive. I did an error scan and there were no "damaged blocks" found. However there is not SMART information listed in the health section.

I am pretty new to building computers but is anything wrong with the hard drive? Do I need to change something in the BIOS?

Thanks!

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I checked the BIOS and it looks like it is turned on.

I downloaded SeaTools for windows (I have a samsung drive but I guess seagate bought the samsung drives). It has a very basic SMART test and when I ran it, it just said "Passed." So maybe HD tune just doesn't work with my drive? Maybe I don't have anything to worry about...

I found this on WIKIpedia.com:

Lack of common interpretation

Many motherboards display a warning message when a disk drive is approaching failure. Although an industry standard exists among most major hard drive manufacturers,[3] there are some remaining issues and much proprietary "secret knowledge" held by individual manufacturers as to their specific approach. As a result, S.M.A.R.T. is not always implemented correctly on many computer platforms, due to the absence of industry-wide software and hardware standards for S.M.A.R.T. data interchange.[citation needed]

From a legal perspective, the term "S.M.A.R.T." refers only to a signaling method between internal disk drive electromechanical sensors and the host computer. Hence, a drive may be claimed by its manufacturers to implement S.M.A.R.T. even if it does not include, say, a temperature sensor, which the customer might reasonably expect to be present. Moreover, in the most extreme case, a disk manufacturer could, in theory, produce a drive which includes a sensor for just one physical attribute, and then legally advertise the product as "S.M.A.R.T. compatible".

jr61

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

This is interesting, thanks. I thought it was some type of standard...