[SOLVED] No sound after dead CPU comes back to life

Mar 10, 2019
I got a new CPU cooler recently, and It's been sitting in my closet for weeks, because I was too lazy to install it. So just an hour ago I decided to finally slap it on my CPU, and everything goes to [censored] The PC turned on, but displayed no video. My monitor detected the HDMI, but nothing was displaying. SO, i take the entire PC apart, and do it again. I noticed one of the pins on the CPU were bent, so then I realized, "[censored], i'm screwed", i bent it back in place, and turned my PC on, and nothing. At this point I declared my CPU dead. However, I decided to give it another try, so I mess around with the ram, and turn the PC back on, and after two minutes of staring at the ceiling, left with no hope, my monitor flickers. AND BAM. I get video. YAY.

Now I have a new problem. My speakers were making strange high pitch sounds. I thought the speakers were broken, so I unplugged them, and put em aside. I plug in my headsets, and nothing. I have no sound. Windows seems to think that I have speakers plugged in, but I don't. It's not x'd out or anything,. So I uninstalled the audio drivers, and reinstalled them, but nothing. I am all out of ideas. Any help?

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
RX 580 8gb Red Devil power cooler edition
Viper Elite 8gb RAM (4x4)
Roswell 630 watt PSU 80plus bronze
ASROCK B450m HDV

Quote Reply
Report Edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
A realtec sound card is not bad, it's mostly if it's on the board it picks up noise from the board. However, some boards make a effort to isolate this and can rival separate sound cards.
Mar 10, 2019
Look at what ports are being used in the audio driver
Sometimes you need to enable the audio ports manually
Enable audio ports? I don't think I've ever had to do that before. Also, sorry for the late reply. I took the PC apart, and put my old cooler back, hoping maybe something would change, but it didn't turn on til now.

Mar 10, 2019
Go to Windows, Sound. In the Playback tab look for Speakers. It will say the default sound device.

I had this happen lots when a new driver or something is installed. It changes it to the HDMI sound usually that the RX580 has too.
I disabled all of the AMD digital audio drivers. I'm using the realtek audio driver. I went into the playback setting, and yes, it's already set, as my default device, but right now I don't even have speakers plugged in. I'm currently trying to use my headsets, and in the playback setting they don't even show up. In the properties for my "speakers" that windows thinks is connected it says "front jacks" where I usually plug my headsets. The headsets are currently plugged in, and I don't have sound. I've reinstalled all the drivers, and restarted my pc, to let windows install the default drivers, but that wasn't much help. This is complicated, I have no clue how to fix it lol,

need4speeds

Distinguished
Maybe reality is the misshap fried something but your lucky the rest still works.

The onboard sound is not that good anyway. I would look locally for a used sound card. I am pretty picky when it comes to sound on my computer. I am running a pci X-Fi Fatal1ty card with the extra 5 1/4 slot add on. I have a turntable with a preamp hooked up too. I tried the onboard realtek with my X2-6000+, it was horrible, i got a used $10 card with a C-media chip in it, it sounded really nice but the lastest windows version it supports is windows XP. I think you will be happy with a separate sound card, they also have way better DAC's Op amps and they have way less noise.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Make sure the drivers exist for windows 10. A new card is also a option. Try to figure out where the card will go on your board. Mine of course ended up in the worst slot, next to my GTX970 so it partly blocks 1 fan, i put a small piece of foam between them so it flexes the sound card out slightly so help widen the fan's intake space.
USB 3.0 and beyond is way faster and is fast enough for a sound card too.

Mar 10, 2019
A realtec sound card is not bad, it's mostly if it's on the board it picks up noise from the board. However, some boards make a effort to isolate this and can rival separate sound cards.
I was also thinking something got damaged, as I was removing my CPU i fogot the "twist, and turn" technique, and the thermal paste was so dry, the CPU came right out of the socket, and was stuck to the cooler. I'm lucky it still works, so I'm not too upset the sound is messed up. I was thinking of wiping my ssd, and see if that fixes anything. If not then I'll just buy a new motherboard. And some new ram, just to be safe.

Anyhow, thanks for the help. Will update if I manage to fix it.

Mar 10, 2019
HEY MAN:

So I reset my PC, and to my disappointment it didn't fix anything. So considering I ruled every other possibility out, it seems my motherboard must be damaged. But that did not stop me! I had the most brilliant idea, and while it may not be the best solution it worked!!!!

So I downloaded DS4 windows. Plugged a ps4 controller into my PC. Then plugged my headsets into the controller. I'm basically using a PS4 controller as an audio source. I KNOW RIGHT? Never have I thought of that lmao. I'm going to use this temporarily, until I buy a new motherboard. But thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

um, also I dunno how to like.... edit this as a solved problem? I dunno how this works.

need4speeds

Distinguished
The PS4 controller has a all in one chip like most MP3 players have so it should be pretty good.
It likely will work the best with a AMD GPU because the PS4 is AMD based.

It's using AMD's Trueaudio that both the PS4 have and the RX580 has too. It then streams the digital audio to the PS4 controller. (It should also work ok with Nivia and intel's version too)

You do have a 2nd sound chip, the one built into the RX580, it's how it can stream audio down the HDMI cable to a HDTV, ect.

Well im glad you got some sort of sound working.

Reactions: .ponyo