No Sound After Format

Since formatting my hard drive there are no audio devices detected on my pc.
I have tried using the driver CD that came with my main board as i think my
audio device is built into it and not a seperate sound card. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers using the CD. If i leave windows to
automatically detect the device it says 'Multimedia Audio Controller Found'
then 'SiS 7012 Audio Driver Found' then it says both of them again. Then
sometimes it says found something like an AC-97 audio device. Windows update
also updates drivers just for the AC-97 audio device. But a diagnostic
program tells me I have a PCI type SiS 7012 audio device. Does anyone have
any ideas? Also after installing the drivers, its says something about it is
already in use as a service or service name. And sometimes it says the device
cannot start. Any ideas? There is nothing in the BIOS to stop it from working
and no drivers I have tried work. Also after installing the drivers but not
rebooting for a while, it detects an 'SM Bus Controller'. Any help would be
appreciated.

The solution is described at
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066427444 and I repeat the brief
version below (you need to reinstall the driver swenum.sys but first you must
create a .inf file for it):

"copy machine.inf from %windir%\inf to a temp dir
remove line 20: ExcludeFromSelect=*
add new hardware have disk (select the temp dir with the modified
machine.inf) and install the plug and play software enumerator"

"oopsitbroke" wrote:

> Since formatting my hard drive there are no audio devices detected on my pc.
> I have tried using the driver CD that came with my main board as i think my
> audio device is built into it and not a seperate sound card. I have tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers using the CD. If i leave windows to
> automatically detect the device it says 'Multimedia Audio Controller Found'
> then 'SiS 7012 Audio Driver Found' then it says both of them again. Then
> sometimes it says found something like an AC-97 audio device. Windows update
> also updates drivers just for the AC-97 audio device. But a diagnostic
> program tells me I have a PCI type SiS 7012 audio device. Does anyone have
> any ideas? Also after installing the drivers, its says something about it is
> already in use as a service or service name. And sometimes it says the device
> cannot start. Any ideas? There is nothing in the BIOS to stop it from working
> and no drivers I have tried work. Also after installing the drivers but not
> rebooting for a while, it detects an 'SM Bus Controller'. Any help would be
> appreciated.

This is not any type of Windows problem at all. This is occuring because
the chipset driver (SM Bus Controller) needs to be installed first.
After you install the proper chipset driver for your motherboard the
sound driver will install just fine. This issue just about drove me
nuts because in my situation the only other driver needing to be
installed was the onboard video (SiS 650) and after hours of trying to
install the sound driver, the SiS 7012, I decided to go to the
manufacturers website and get the video driver to try and install. Boy
could I have saved myself a lot of time had I installed the video
driver first, whew, what a time. If you know the manufacturer of your
motherboard you can go to their website to get the chipset driver you
need and after it's installed you shouldn't have any problems
installing the sound driver. Hope this helps.

--
techcutie777