No sound after installing new graphics card

firechicken76

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
I just bought an intel with a 3.4ghz processor, it came with windows 8.1. I bought a radeon HD 6450 graphics card. My problem is that I have no sound now.

After researching i have come to the conclusion that my computer is trying to use the audio through the hdmi cable. I need to get the audio through the onboard card.

I found that if i go into the bios i could switch the audio from the radeon card to the onboard card.

I found how to reset the computer into bios, but when i try it, it resets and i just get a black screen, not even a dell logo. I reset the computer and it loads up and goes right to the password screen.

I tried uninstalling the audio driver for the radeon card, unplugging the hdd before booting, and even tried running the factory graphics card.

Im having no luck, i know what i need to do, i just cant get there to do it. please help someone, Id like to get my audio back on.

firechicken76

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
"I found how to reset the computer into bios, but when i try it, it resets and i just get a black screen, not even a dell logo. I reset the computer and it loads up and goes right to the password screen."

firechicken76

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
nope, just goes from a black screen to the password screen, normally it shows the dell logo, but for some reason it doesnt after i installed that graphic card.

I just had an idea, im not sure if it will work but i guess its worth a try.

I have 2 hard drives on inside the computer, the factory hard drive with win 8.1 installed, and an older one with windows 7 installed. What if i pulled the factory hard drive out and let the computer load up with the other hard drive that had win 7? will that work? maybe if I have a windows 7 opperating system i can hold down a button after restart and get into bios.

anyone know if this is worth a shot? or will it screw my computer up?