No sound after moving ASUS MB M4A78LT-M to new case

DPZora

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
My Asus Essentio 1330-05 desktop PC, bought locally in desperation two years ago because I didn’t have a working computer with which to order parts, has been a disappointment. Cheap DVD drive and power supply (both had to be replaced), no case fan (I added one), poor air flow, and a graphics card fan that frequently clogged with cat hair and overheated. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new case, a Corsair Vengeance C70, which is well-ventilated, currently runs three case fans, and is a pleasure to use. I moved the MB, CPU, GPU, PSU, HD, and the DVD drive.

Everything works fine, just as it did in the old case ... except that I can’t get the sound to work.

I’m running Win7 64-bit.

* The Device Manager shows two ATI devices and one VIA device as working properly.
* The “manage audio devices option,” on a different part of the Windoze control panel, shows SPDIF interfaces TXD and TXI as ready. Speakers are shown as connected to the VIA device. ATI DP and HDMI are shown as NOT PLUGGED IN. Speakers are selected as the default device.
* VIA HD audio deck control panel shows the speakers as the default device and the sound turned all the way up.

I checked the connection from the speakers to the motherboard; that's solid, just the way it was in the old case.

I cannot figure out how the sound was wired in the old, original case because NONE of the connectors in the old case are labeled. None of them look like standard connectors.

The new case came with a blue connector labeled HD audio, which I plugged onto the only pins on the MB that match the configuration, which are labeled AAFP. I believe that this controls the audio jack on the front of the computer. I would test it if I had headphones, which I don’t.

There are three pins on the MB labeled SPDIF OUT, with nothing connected. There are also four pins, a few inches to the left, labeled speaker (on the system panel connector). Perhaps I need to connect the SPDIF OUT to speaker? But that would seem odd, as the system panel connector controls the front panel on the computer, not necessarily the audio connection on the back of the computer.

I finally extracted the motherboard manual from Asus. The motherboard is the M4A78LT-M. But the manual is no help.

Do I need to connect anything to SPDIF OUT? If so, what and how? Or is it just a question of reconfiguring something in my system? I wouldn’t think that anything would need to be changed, as it all worked before the transplant.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

DPZora

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Hmm. I'm wondering if the MB only supports one audio out and if the connection to the front panel is disabling the speakers. I think I saw something to that effect in other ASUS audio problem threads.

I find it hard to believe that ASUS would do anything this dumb, however.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
If you don't have headphones connected to the front panel connectors, then the rear IO output will still work as output for stereo. ASUS or the audio IO vendors are indeed not that dumb :)

The audio output chips are supposed to be sensitive to ESD. If Windows shows the device as default and there is no sound being output despite Windows showing all is well, there is a chance the chip has become faulty during the move. Check there are no shorts between the chassis and motherboard also. You can also try re-installing the drivers for the VIA chip again, and disabling all other audio outputs in device manager. Also try plugging the speakers into the front panel header and see if you get any sound output there (with that port set as default audio device of course) If that does not bring audio back to the Altec speakers then you might have a faulty chip. Test the speakers still work okay with another device if you can.

-Raja

The pins labeled SPKR are for the internal (system) speaker that generates the beeps for a successful or unsuccessful boot. The SPDIF pins are for a serially encoded audio output stream like a coaxial or fiber output to a multichannel receiver. You do not need to worry about these for your problem.

You should be using the HDA connector on the audio cable in the case.

If the problem is with the front panel, you should be able to plug the speaker cable (presently plugged into the green back panel audio connector) into the front panel jack.

DPZora

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008

If there were ESD, that would be a first. We just don't get ESD here in Honolulu, with its usual high temperature and humidity. Well, one might if working in a super-air-conditioned lab. I did the work at home, laid out the computer on my bed :), and worked in bare feet on a tile floor. No rug, no shoes, no ESD buildup.

I will try the other suggestions, when I have time. Freelance editing job behind schedule.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

Any time someone makes a post on a forum where something "should" work, but does not, it's not out of the question to entertain the possibility of a mishap. :) It might not be that, but given you are showing signs of knowing what you are doing and still have this "issue", I would not rule it out.

It's always hard for us helpers to assess the tech savy of a user when there's hints that the person has not performed basic debugging in a thread. There aren't many ESD metrics based on geographic location on the web (lol), nor do we have the luxury of knowing everyone's location as it does not appear mandatory on this forum - so we have to ask...

DPZora

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008

Sorry if I sounded grumpy. No, you could not have known my level of tech savvy, which is ... inconsistent. On the one hand, I have an A+ certification. On the other hand, it's old. I did the transplant after a period of few years in which I did not do a complete build, just a few component replacements. I was slow and clumsy. I screwed the motherboard down, then unscrewed to add another brass standoff, then screwed it down again. I have been wondering if I might have strained some connection with all the handling.

Also true that I did not take some troubleshooting steps that a more experienced techie would have taken.

Will try plugging the speakers into the front panel if I have time tomorrow. Edit on Chinese soil chemistry paper not finished.

DPZora

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
OK, finally finished editing Chinese soil chemistry paper and had a chance to experiment with plugging speakers into front jack rather than rear. Sound works! No ESD damage. Probably I did break some connection between the rear panel jack and the motherboard with all the extra handling.

DANG. I have sound, but I don't like the look of dangling wires. When I have money, I will replace the motherboard. Thinking of GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3, seems be a well-regarded AM3 socket MB. Or possibly the ASUS M5A97 R2. Would either of these be a good choice for a two-year-old AMD Phenom II x6 1035t CPU? Which is just plain AM3 rather than AM3+?

Nevamind. Determined googling points me to the Gigabye board. AM3 fine in AM3+ socket.