Question No sound and choppy video on Windows 10 (Audio format not set to default)

Nov 7, 2018
Ever since I bought my monitor speakers I had this issue occurring every now and then, where there's no sound at all and any video/stream that is on gets horribly choppy (we're talking <1fps here). After trying to fix it, it turned out to be an audio issue. When I ran troubleshooter it would find out that the 'Audio format of the device was not set to default' or something along these lines, then it would change the format to another one and the sound was back and all playbacks were smooth again. In fact just changing the audio format to any other would immediately fix the issue.

As I said this issue would reappear every now and then, sometimes once a month, sometimes a bit more often. However, since I've updated to Win 10 1903 this issue is appearing daily, sometimes even a few times per day. The Spotify will not play any music, all the video/streams open in Chrome get choppy or straight up bug out. Then I change the audio format to any other random one and everything is fine.

This only occurs when I'm using the speakers. When the issue appears I can switch to headphones or screen speakers and everything is fine, switching back to the monitor speakers makes it all broken again.

I'm using M-Audio M-Track Hub, which is connected to my PC, the monitor speakers are connected to it. I tried reinstalling the drivers for it, but to no avail. It doesn't seem to help at all. I also tried setting different audio formats as the default ones, but the issue reappears anyway all the time.

Any suggestions of what I could try to fix it? Also, let me know if you need any dumps or anything that could help diagnosing the issue, cheers.

My setup:
CPU: i5 4690k
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz 1.5V
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 2.5'' SSD - SATA 6G - 250 GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue, 3.5\'\', 1TB, SATA/600, 7200RPM
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
PSU: Corsair HX750 V2

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS