[SOLVED] No sound coming from right headphone?

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Sound only comes from my left headphone, while the right is completely silent. The headphones aren't the problem, as my earbuds do the exact same thing. This is on my windows 11 pc, and both use cords. I don't have mono sound enabled, and it's not my sound balance. Tried a pair of speakers on the same jack, they both work perfectly fine. Tested headphones with my TV and both sides work fine, so it's probably a software issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Still thinking the problem is hardware/connectivity.

However, just as a matter of elimination also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

No harm in trying. Intermittent problems are difficult to troubleshoot.

Plus look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that may have been captured just before or at the time the problems began. Date being "a few days ago".

Check Update History for any problem or failed updates around that date.

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Start by manually downloading the audio card drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

No third party tools or installers.
I never needed to install drivers from the manufacturer (Audio-Technica) in the past, so that's probably not the issue. They were working fine until just a few days ago. Can't find any anyway. And despite being headphones, they're referred to as Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio) in Device manager, and in System > Sound they're also referred to as speakers, rather than headphones.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model information for speakers, headphones, and earbuds?

This:

"I never needed to install drivers from the manufacturer (Audio-Technica) in the past, so that's probably not the issue. They were working fine until just a few days ago.

That it all worked may have simply been happenstance. There could have been some update or other change that created the problem.

= = = =

First, run the build in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Second, right click the small speaker icon normally located in the lower right screen corner. A pop up menu will appear with 5 or so menu choices (including troubleshooting). Each choice leads to multiple windows, tabs, and properties. Explore all but do not make any immediate changes. Just make a few notes on anything is not correct or otherwise not as expected. Then research those items and determine if they are relevant and simply need to be reconfigured.

Third, take a look at TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve). Although there are standards not every manufacturer follows the standards. So it is possible that speakers/headphones will correctly work in one environment and not in another.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Make and model information for speakers, headphones, and earbuds?

This:

"I never needed to install drivers from the manufacturer (Audio-Technica) in the past, so that's probably not the issue. They were working fine until just a few days ago.

That it all worked may have simply been happenstance. There could have been some update or other change that created the problem.

= = = =

First, run the build in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Second, right click the small speaker icon normally located in the lower right screen corner. A pop up menu will appear with 5 or so menu choices (including troubleshooting). Each choice leads to multiple windows, tabs, and properties. Explore all but do not make any immediate changes. Just make a few notes on anything is not correct or otherwise not as expected. Then research those items and determine if they are relevant and simply need to be reconfigured.

Third, take a look at TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve). Although there are standards not every manufacturer follows the standards. So it is possible that speakers/headphones will correctly work in one environment and not in another.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/
My headphones set is the ATH-A900X. Ran the troubleshooter, it couldn't identify any problems. Messed around with all of the settings, no luck. The plug is TRS. I didn't change anything in my settings from before they were working, and I'm using the same computer. I also blew out the jack with an electric duster. I have no idea what to do at this point.

Ralston18

Titan
TRS understood.

However, do the speakers have the same TRS configuration as the headphones and earbuds?

Per the link in Post #4: the plugs/ports may appear to physically identical but the actual connections are different.

While looking for additional pinout information I found the following link with respect to the ATH-A900X headphones:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...5mm-headphone-adapter-jacks-and-cables.29180/

Link is old but worth a look from your end I think.

I also believe that moving this thread from Computer Peripherals to Home Audio is warranted.

Just update your post to provide more information about earbuds, speakers, adapters (if any), audio environment, etc..

Hopefully some audiophile member will be able to post additional ideas and suggestions.

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
TRS understood.

However, do the speakers have the same TRS configuration as the headphones and earbuds?

Per the link in Post #4: the plugs/ports may appear to physically identical but the actual connections are different.

While looking for additional pinout information I found the following link with respect to the ATH-A900X headphones:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...5mm-headphone-adapter-jacks-and-cables.29180/

Link is old but worth a look from your end I think.

I also believe that moving this thread from Computer Peripherals to Home Audio is warranted.

Just update your post to provide more information about earbuds, speakers, adapters (if any), audio environment, etc..

Hopefully some audiophile member will be able to post additional ideas and suggestions.
My Speakers and headphones are both TRS, while my earbuds are TRRS. After testing again, my earbuds are now working on both sides, but still no audio on my right headphone, though both speakers still work fine.

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Are you able to test the headphones on any other known working audio devices or computers?

Make and model motherboard?

Any installed audio cards?
The headphones work just fine on my television, but I don't have any other computers to test them on. No audio cards, and my motherboard is a Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48) (U3E1).

Ralston18

Titan
Seems to be narrowing to some small physical mismatch between headphone's M plug and the host computer's F audio port.

Especially if the earbuds have started to work.

Do you have any F - M audio extension cables?

If so try: Headphones M ----> F extension cable M -----> F Port host computer.

Idea being that the extension cable may provide just some small amount of difference in the connectivity to restore right side audio.

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Seems to be narrowing to some small physical mismatch between headphone's M plug and the host computer's F audio port.

Especially if the earbuds have started to work.

Do you have any F - M audio extension cables?

If so try: Headphones M ----> F extension cable M -----> F Port host computer.

Idea being that the extension cable may provide just some small amount of difference in the connectivity to restore right side audio.
Tried it with a brand new TRS to TRRS adapter/extension cable, still no sound on the right headphone. Just now tried the headphones with my TV again, now the right side isn't working with it either.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Plus look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that may have been captured just before or at the time the problems began. Date being "a few days ago".

Reactions: MichaelTS
Solution

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010

References:

No issues detected with sfc /scannow. Since they're faulty with my television and an extension cord doesn't fix it, it's likely the headphones themselves. Think I'll just have to take them to a repair shop or replace them.

TRENDING THREADS