No Sound Far Cry 5 (Headphones Only)

Camel_Toad

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016
This might not be the best place to ask but I am desperate and hoping someone here might shed some light on this issue. Nvidia Shadowplay's recording may have actually given me a clue.

I don't get sound through my Corsair Void headset ONLY when playing Far Cry 5 - I get sound in all other games, media players, etc. This is also reflected when I record Far Cry 5 with Shadowplay. I DO get sound when I play Far Cry 5 when I have my speakers as my default playback device and the audio is recorded in Shadowplay as well. This leads me to believe that for whatever reason, Far Cry 5 is just not putting out an audio signal when I am using my headset.

I have contacted Ubisoft (and waiting to hear back), posted on gamefaqs, steam, corsair and the ubisoft forums but I have had no luck fixing this issue.

Things I have tried: Uninstalling all audio devices and their drivers. Direct X, graphics card and windows drivers are up to date. Reinstalled Far Cry 5. Alt-tabbed out of Far Cry 5 while playing and verified that my headset was still the default playback device. Disabled all playback and recording devices with the exception of the headset under playback. None of this has fixed the issue.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Windows 10 / GTX 1080 / Corsair VOID headset

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
playback devices? Right click sound icon in bottom right tray.

I have this issue - not saying yours is the same, but - i have to manually choose which output the audio goes to. For whatever reason.

Camel_Toad

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016
Thanks for your response. Yes before playing Far Cry 5, I turn my headphones on and in playback devices I set my headphones to the default playback device. I had read some people say that Far Cry would switch their playback device after launching, so I alt-tabbed while playing but it did not switch and was correctly showing the headset as the default device.

It seems like if I have my headset as the default playback device Far Cry just doesn't send out any audio. I am beating my head against a wall at this point =(

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Can you leave an mp3 (or any desktop audii) then launch fc5. Does the mp3 still play? Or does it all stop?

Honestly, the first time it happened to me I was the same. Nothing seemed to work and it was frustrating af.

Can you take phones from monitor or TV instead? That's what I done for a while whilst looking into the problem.

introaether

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Also. On my system, I needed to get to the tab where you can test audio device. Where it plays the beeps through left then right speaker.

Then set to default playback device cured it.

Good luck dude

Camel_Toad

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016

Just tested if I could play an mp3 in the background while I launched and ran Far Cry 5. I started the mp3, launched FC5 and heard the mp3 the entire time but still nothing from Far Cry.

I unfortunately don't have any way to pass the signal from my tv to my headphones. The headphones are usb and the tv is connected to the pc via HDMI and has no usb ports.

One thing I sloppily forgot to include in my original post which could be useful to know - the first time I ran FC5 the headphones worked with it fine with the exception of it sounding like it had some reverb. The 2nd time it was extremely quiet, extremely being an understatement. I had to raise the volume from my usual 50% to 100% and it was still very quiet, probably 10% of what most would prefer while playing a game. The total lack of audio hit the 3rd time I ran FC5. If every other game and bit of media didn't sound perfectly normal I would have immediately thought the headphones were degrading but that apparently isn't the case.

Your help is very much appreciated as this issue is bordering on an obsession for me to fix. =(

Camel_Toad

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016

Yeh I always make sure to switch the default playback device to the headphones before using them, and in Far Cry's case I've alt-tabbed while playing it to see if the game switched it on me after launching but it didn't. They also test fine when I run the test from the playback devices menu.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I am at my wit's end with this but don't want to just give up either.