[SOLVED] No sound from 5.1 speakers from either onboard or sound card

May 24, 2021
I have a new custom built gaming PC, which has 5.1 Logitech speakers attached. I have an issue of no sound from any of the speakers. I do have sound from the headphones.
When I received the new PC and plugged in the speakers, everything was working fine for one day. On the second day, with nothing changed, ( No windows updates or any other changes to the system), all sound stopped working. After doing the usual checks on volume controls , Windows troubleshooting etc. I couldn’t get test sounds on speakers. After a reboot all speakers were working normally again. Everything was working well for about six days when I noticed that I had sound from only Front Right, Front Left speakers and headphones. Again no changes to system had occurred. Shortly after the usual tests, even the front speakers failed and I was left with headphones only. My logic told ne that it was looking like a hardware failure, likely to do with the motherboard. I exhausted all the usual troubleshooting tests using both Realtek audio console and via windows. No Sound.

System:
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X LGA1200 ATX
Sound - Integrated - Onboard (Realtek ALC 1200 codec)

First hardware config using Logitech X540 (5.1) speakers - No sound from speakers.

Second hardware config using Logitech Z607 (5.1) With Bluetooth - No sound from speakers.

Third hardware config using Creative Audigy FX sound card and disabling Realtek onboard sound - No sound from speakers .

List of things I triedwith each harware config:
Checked that volume controls for all speakers were on about 70% (ie. not muted)
Windows troubleshooter - No test sound from speakers. Test sound working from headphones only
Realtek Audio Console - Detected individual speakers as they were plugged in but no test sounds.
Update drivers - No test sound from speakers. Test sound working from headphones only
Tried latest ( 2 yr old) driver from Gigabyte - No test sound from speakers. Test sound working from headphones only
Deinstalled audio devices via Device Manager to let automatic reinstall to occur on bootup. No test sound from speakers. Test sound working from headphones only.

After the first hardware config tests failed, I sent the PC back to the supplier (interstate), who said they tested it with their speakers and that the sound was working normally, and sent it back. .When I plugged the speakers in on return, nothing had changed, still no sound. I considered that problem may be due to my speaker hardware in particular the processor in the sub woofer itself, as all speakers plug into it. (Logitech X540) and replaced speakers with new (Second config) Logitech Z607 soeaker system with bluetooth. No test sound from speakers. Test sound working from headphones only
(Third config) Installed a new Creative Audigy FX sound card. No test sound from speakers. Test sound working from headphones only.

I am baffled and maybe a little skeptical as to how the supplier could get their speakers to work. Could it be that I’m just going mad.

A little aside: I was able to easily pair the new bluetooth speakers with my iphone to produce sound.

I feel that the way the sound worked initially on the PC, then partially disappeared (RR, LR, Center and Sub) then totally disappeared (RF and LF), is indicative of hardware degradation failure since at that time NO software changes had been made to Windows or Realtek drivers.

The one constant apart from me, is the motherboard itself. (Note I also looked at possibility of the keyboard mute key being involved but no) The fact that neither onboard Realtek ALC 1200 chip) or Creative Audigy FX card can produce sound from speakers is my dilemma. Is it poosible that there is common Mobo circuitry that supports both onboard sound chip and the sound card that is flaky?

I have sent it back to supplier again. It will be at least a week before they can test it again.
In the meantime. Please, any ideas would help.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Ukki71

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmmmm and Hmmmm check for gremlins?

The sound card would have ruled out motherboard, i doubt it is the mobo. You did set in Windows playback devices to the sound card yeah?

I'm wondering if it's a power point / and or strip issue used for the speaker sets not working properly? Or possibly audio cables not inserted correctly at either end of PC or sub? But then the phone worked sooo.

Silly question (I guess all above is so far :) ), you are unplugging the headphones from the speaker's control pod or PC front panel audio? Sound to speakers will be disabled whilst headphones are connected.

May 24, 2021
Hmmmm and Hmmmm check for gremlins?

The sound card would have ruled out motherboard, i doubt it is the mobo. You did set in Windows playback devices to the sound card yeah?

I'm wondering if it's a power point / and or strip issue used for the speaker sets not working properly? Or possibly audio cables not inserted correctly at either end of PC or sub? But then the phone worked sooo.

Silly question (I guess all above is so far :) ), you are unplugging the headphones from the speaker's control pod or PC front panel audio? Sound to speakers will be disabled whilst headphones are connected.
Headphones in and out no difference. The Realtek Audio Console allows both speakers and headphones or speaker blocking if headphones are use. Two different cable sets. In any case, there was sound initially and it degraded over time.

May 24, 2021
Headphones in and out no difference. The Realtek Audio Console allows both speakers and headphones or speaker blocking if headphones are use. Two different cable sets. In any case, there was sound initially and it degraded over time.
Yes, I did set the card in playback and in fact had disabled onboard to avoid clashes. The front panel audio header for headphones works via card and mobo.

May 24, 2021
try running off an Ubuntu live usb and see if it can create any sound out of speakers

would let us know if its windows or hardware.
Than you, good idea. Out of frustration I have sent the PC back to supplier who is now trying to find a solution. If they hit a wall I will ask them to try your Ubuntu idea.