Question No sound from front headphone jack or monitor's headphone jack, but works just fine from headphone jack on rear of motherboard ?

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
So up until last month I was using a dual monitor setup for my work. For my little brother's birthday, I gave him one of my monitors and my PC case since his old monitor and case was breaking apart.

I proceed to buy a smaller case and I finished assembling my pc in my new case yesterday. Turned it on today and for some reason the front headphone jack wasn't working. No sound, no hissing or static, nothing.

I decide to try and use my monitor jack instead, but the same thing also happened, not even static or hissing, just complete silence.

Weirdly enough, the headphone jack on the back (the one built into the motherboard) works just fine without problems whatsoever.

Just to clarify, I do not have any soundcard or the like inside, nor did I Install anything before I change my case, and it works just fine on the old case, although I never tested my monitor jack before.
Monitor is connected using a Display Port straight into my GPU. Both PC and monitor works just fine so far with no problems whatsoever other than the sound.

Is it possible that somehow both my case audio cable and my monitor headphone jack went faulty at the same time?

If there's any way to fix it, it would be appreciated since I normally just use my front audio jack. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Plugged in my Yeti microphone, it receives sound but doesn't output it. That's 3 out of 4 audio jack not working and I am flabbergasted.

Last edited:

Small_Tarzan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
Are you sure you've connected the front panel headphone jack?
Do the USBs at the front work?
The very thin cables usually located at the right bottom of the motherboard. If those are not connected correctly, your headphone jack will not work.

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
Are you sure you've connected the front panel headphone jack?
Do the USBs at the front work?
The very thin cables usually located at the right bottom of the motherboard. If those are not connected correctly, your headphone jack will not work.
Yes, it works, since I plugged my wireless mouse and keyboard receiver there. And I'm pretty sure the front audio cable is connected firmly in place so I am not sure what's wrong. Perhaps a faulty cable? But that's unlikely...

UPDATE: Plugged in my yeti microphone and while it receives sound, the headphone jack on it also doesn't work for some reason. The audio jack on the motherboard still work just fine.

Small_Tarzan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
Yes, it works, since I plugged my wireless mouse and keyboard receiver there. And I'm pretty sure the front audio cable is connected firmly in place so I am not sure what's wrong. Perhaps a faulty cable? But that's unlikely...

UPDATE: Plugged in my yeti microphone and while it receives sound, the headphone jack on it also doesn't work for some reason. The audio jack on the motherboard still work just fine.

Well, it's probably the cable, really. Could've been bent, connected incorrectly, bunch of stuff. Is the computer case new? If not, I've had a couple of cases where the whole front panel just stopped working for some reason.
Hard to diagnose if you don't have a second case.

Marc Riku

Prominent
Aug 31, 2019
Well, it's probably the cable, really. Could've been bent, connected incorrectly, bunch of stuff. Is the computer case new? If not, I've had a couple of cases where the whole front panel just stopped working for some reason.
Hard to diagnose if you don't have a second case.
Yeah, I am not sure why, but I don't think it's the case since the monitor and the microphone headphone jack isn't working as well. I'm at a loss really.