No sound from Mobo or Sound Card

bmth2012

Honorable
May 5, 2012
So sometime last week I had to open my computer case to fiddle with an internal hard drive, clean some dust out, and I also ran some windows updates. Ever since then I was unable to get any sound output from my computer. The speakers work fine when hooked up to my ipod. I bought a sound card thinking I could just get the audio from there instead of straight from the motherboard and fix the problem for $20. I installed it and the drivers but I can't get sound from there either. The only place I can here anything is from the front headphone jack, and the mic in responds with levels when I try to record audio.

I don't care whether I get the sound from my motherboard or from my sound card, I just want sound coming through my speakers. I have tried updating all my drivers, my BIOS, disabling onboard audio, and I can't get any sort of combination to work. Can anyone help me with this? Any suggestions or diagnostic tools or tests I could run? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

night wolf

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
have you checked all the settings like mute.

The thing that my pc gave me was drivers not installed "unknown devices" when i updated them my sound worked.

have you tried installing the old software again and see if it works then?

bmth2012

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Yes nothing is muted, I made sure to check that. I also updated all the drivers, then uninstalled them and reinstalled them. No luck. Is there some kind of diagnostic software I could use to try to figure this out? Anything specifically for audio?

You need to check mute in two different places; one in Windows, and the other in the program you are using.