[SOLVED] No Sound From Motherboard

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
I have an Asus P5Q-e motherboard, which has an optical out.

I have a Logitech Z906 set, which accepts digital in. Not sure if using digital is better than 3.5m jacks, but I think I bought the P5Q-e especially because it had the optical out.

Windows 10 doesn't seem to recognise it has SPDIF out. There's no other drivers or anything I can install to make the PC realise it has the optical out.

Tried reinstalling Sound max but the program doesn't run as it says there aren't any output devices it can control.

I can still hear sound over the HDMI connection to the TV but for some movies, the sound is a little strange as I think the HDMI down-mixes the audio to 2-speakers.

Should I look at a sound card as a way round this?

Solution
A load of rubbish :p

Had a bit more of a play around.

Used Geek Uninstaller to uninstall any references to Sound (apart from those containing letters HDMI). I also forced removal of the Realtek sound stuff (again, apart from HDMI ones).

There were a few under "Windows Driver Package". I'm really sad I didn't take a screenshot before I uninstalled.
Then went through the master driver install files for the motherboard. They installed fine.

I checked the motherboard and was sad to see no light coming from the optical out. I thought it was on all the time?

Turned on the PC and had no sound still.

Checked device manager and it saw it had a "High Def audio device" but had a yellow ! mark - tells me the driver is missing or corrupt...

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah, it's set as the default:

I know it's muted but it won't unmute and as soon as I drag the slider, it goes back to the 0 again.

The SPDIF should work from the motherboard right? I don't have to connect it inside anywhere or put any cables anywhere inside the machine?

Oasis Curator

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
A load of rubbish :p

Had a bit more of a play around.

Used Geek Uninstaller to uninstall any references to Sound (apart from those containing letters HDMI). I also forced removal of the Realtek sound stuff (again, apart from HDMI ones).

There were a few under "Windows Driver Package". I'm really sad I didn't take a screenshot before I uninstalled.
Then went through the master driver install files for the motherboard. They installed fine.

I checked the motherboard and was sad to see no light coming from the optical out. I thought it was on all the time?

Turned on the PC and had no sound still.

Checked device manager and it saw it had a "High Def audio device" but had a yellow ! mark - tells me the driver is missing or corrupt. Tut.

I usually never trust Windows to do much but gave it an "update driver > search automatically". It found one and installed it. I didn't hold much hope. It's the Microsoft driver.

Went back to sound settings and now I have three options - Digital Audio HDMI, Digital Audio SPDIF and Realtek HDMI.

Selected the SPDIF one and the volume said 100%.
Okay, this is looking good.

Did a test - no sound.

Looked at the properties and I now have a whole bunch more options, enhancements, quality choices... but still no sound.

Disappointed, I thought I should check the cables are securely in the positions on the amp and PC.
The one on the PC seemed a bit... wobbily.
Secured that and booted up again.

Put on a movie and skipped to the middle - I nearly blew my head off!
A quick pause and turned the volume down, played again and BOOM - I have sound!

I'm putting it down to rogue drivers not working correctly, solved by force removing them and all associated files.

I don't even know if I have Soundmax installed, or any Realtek programs but to be honest, I don't really care right now :p

Cheers all!

Last edited:
Reactions: boju
Solution