Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my onboard sound (so hopefully this is the right section.) I just moved my computer from one location to another but everything is working fine (microphone, and everything else).. except for my sound. I've tried the appropriate (as well as all others) front jack and rear jack with speakers and headphones and I have verified that the speakers and headphones work on other computers. My sound is not muted and all of my drivers are up-to-date. My computer appears to be playing sound (ie: when I open my volume mixer the bar is going up and down) but I do not hear anything.

There are three devices that appear and I have tried setting them all as the default with the same results:

Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)

My mother board is a:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

If you would like to know any of my other specs I will be happy to post them.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Once you set one as the default you then have to go to the sound properties to make sure that you have selected the correct playback device to be the same as the one yu selected for the default.
You don't want the optical as default unless you want it for an output to another device. The digital output is the same .
So the one you want is the speakers and then make the settings in the properties.
I have the Speakers option and I use headphones so it's pluged into the lime green port and that's the one you want to use if you just have a two speaker setup.