No sound on ASUS P5AD2-E Premium

Susan

Help! I can't get the sound to work on this mobo.
I haven't tried a PCI sound card yet, speakers work with another machine.
Headset does not work.
HD audio controller is enabled in the Bios.
I removed the connections to the front panel jacks.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks

Intel 3.2Ghz
WinXP Pro SP2
Lian-Li case
1 GB Crucial
PC Power&cooling 510w
Bios vers 1005
Maxtor Sata HD
Plextor Sata 716SA

"Susan" <susan@blarg.net> wrote in message
> Help! I can't get the sound to work on this mobo.
> I haven't tried a PCI sound card yet, speakers work with another machine.
> Headset does not work.
> HD audio controller is enabled in the Bios.
> I removed the connections to the front panel jacks.
> Anybody have any suggestions?
> Thanks
>
> Intel 3.2Ghz
> WinXP Pro SP2
> Lian-Li case
> 1 GB Crucial
> PC Power&cooling 510w
> Bios vers 1005
> Maxtor Sata HD
> Plextor Sata 716SA

Did you install the drivers from the ASUS mb CD-ROM for the audio? Check the
Windows Hardware Device Manager and see if it recognizes the audio chip.

If you plan on using a PCI audio card (good idea if you want good audio or
play games), then turn off the audio in the bios before installing the audio
card.

"Susan" <susan@blarg.net> wrote:

>Help! I can't get the sound to work on this mobo.
>I haven't tried a PCI sound card yet, speakers work with another machine.
>Headset does not work.
>HD audio controller is enabled in the Bios.
>I removed the connections to the front panel jacks.
>Anybody have any suggestions?
>Thanks
>
>Intel 3.2Ghz
>WinXP Pro SP2
>Lian-Li case
>1 GB Crucial
>PC Power&cooling 510w
>Bios vers 1005
>Maxtor Sata HD
>Plextor Sata 716SA

If you've installed the audio drivers from the CD that came with the
motherboard (Asus may have newer drivers available for download), you
should have an icon for them in the tool tray in Windows. Click on
that to bring up the C-Media 3D Audio Configuration. Click on the
little arrow next to the jack in which your speakers are plugged, and
select Front Speakers (L/R). You should be able to hear sound from
whatever is plugged into that jack now (make sure the volume control
is high enough in Control Panel).

Next time you start Windows, this setting will be lost, and you'll
have to make it again. The way to fix that problem is to unplug your
speakers from the jack before Windows starts. Then, plug in your
speakers while Windows is running, and the audio driver will find them
(you may still need to set it up by clicking on that little arrow, but
the setting should then be retained).

Susan