Question No sound on cloned ssd

Apr 18, 2020
Feeling like a moron here. Could really use help.

Clonned ssd has no sound, sound driver won't install, have tried uninstall, reinstall, and uninstall and letting windows do it but I just get an error.

No sound shows when I click the speaker bottom right but its usually realtek or something.

Can I just reclone the ssd? Will that fix the issue?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What specific error(s) do you get?

A "reclone" is an option. However, I would hold on doing that.

There are other things you can do.

Consider that when you physically installed the new cloned drive that an audio connection/cable or card was partially or fully disconnected.

Check all cables and audio devices. Ensure that all components are fully and firmly seated.

Try running Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Look in Window's Reliability History logs for audio related errors.

Are you manually downloading and installing the audio driver's via the manufacturer's website? (No third party driver installers.)

Verify that you are, indeed, downloading the correct driver for your OS and audio card.

Doublecheck all of the Windows audio related settings. Right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right hand corner. The menu choices lead to all sorts of windows, tabs, and properties.

Explore first and make no changes. Keep note of anything that is not as expected. Then go back and change but change only one thing at a time.

Try another known working speaker and/or headphones on your computer.

Try your speaker and headphones on another known working computer. Determine if the audio loss follows the speaker/headphones or stays with your computer.

Apr 18, 2020
A fully functional clone can't simply skip the sound portion.

Details needed.
What did you use to clone this?
Drives involved?
What OS.
etc etc...as much detail as you can give us.

Win 7 - 64bit
I used Acronis software to clone the Crucial MX500 ssd.
I cloned my C drive as it was installed with a "60gb intel ssd to run the OS" (when I bought it from a local pc store) and it ran out of space.
I cloned my Win 7 64-bit lap top hdd to ssd 2 days ago no problems with and no issues using Acronis.

Could I have bumped or removed a connection while replacing the new drive? If so what should I look for?
Oh and:
Speakers turn on and work.
The speaker icon in the bottom left has a red x on it.

I just typed in dxdiag in the search bar and the sound tab shows nothing, no information what so ever.

Apr 18, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What specific error(s) do you get?

A "reclone" is an option. However, I would hold on doing that.

There are other things you can do.

Consider that when you physically installed the new cloned drive that an audio connection/cable or card was partially or fully disconnected.

Check all cables and audio devices. Ensure that all components are fully and firmly seated.

Try running Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Look in Window's Reliability History logs for audio related errors.

Are you manually downloading and installing the audio driver's via the manufacturer's website? (No third party driver installers.)

Verify that you are, indeed, downloading the correct driver for your OS and audio card.

Doublecheck all of the Windows audio related settings. Right click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right hand corner. The menu choices lead to all sorts of windows, tabs, and properties.

Explore first and make no changes. Keep note of anything that is not as expected. Then go back and change but change only one thing at a time.

Try another known working speaker and/or headphones on your computer.

Try your speaker and headphones on another known working computer. Determine if the audio loss follows the speaker/headphones or stays with your computer.

Win 7 home premium 64 bit
Processor core i5 - 3570 @ 3.4ghz
8gb ram

Speakers work fine on laptop
Driver is ADS instant HDTV PCI that pops up on boot in as box that says reinstall device driver

In the small speaker icon, under "playback devices " it says"no audio devices are installed"

Explored everything I can and found nothing else so far

Jun 30, 2020
Feeling like a moron here. Could really use help.

Clonned ssd has no sound, sound driver won't install, have tried uninstall, reinstall, and uninstall and letting windows do it but I just get an error.

No sound shows when I click the speaker bottom right but its usually realtek or something.

Can I just reclone the ssd? Will that fix the issue?

Have you found a solution to this? I am having a similar problem. I did a full clone of my old hard drive to my new SSD and everything works except the sound. I tried updated and uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers and still no sounds.

I even reinserted the old hard drive to test the speakers and the sound works fine so there is nothing wrong with the hardware.

Jun 30, 2020
Something physical being disconnected is the probable issue.
A clone operation can't skip parts like this.

I have the same problem and there is nothing wrong with the hardware. I put the old hard drive back in the computer to test the speakers and they work. They don't work when I put the new hard drive in. Even after trying to update, uninstall and reinstall all the drivers

Apr 18, 2020
Have you found a solution to this? I am having a similar problem. I did a full clone of my old hard drive to my new SSD and everything works except the sound. I tried updated and uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers and still no sounds.

I even reinserted the old hard drive to test the speakers and the sound works fine so there is nothing wrong with the hardware.
I did find a solution to my problem. I checked my drivers and looking all the way down the list there were 2 realtek drivers and two of something else. No idea why this happrned.
I made sure the first driver was disabled and enabled on the second. This worked for me. Contact the hdd manufacturer and they should very quickly send you a solutions page.
If its Crucial they will help very quickly.
It wasn't a hassle going through the steps they gave to troubleshoot.