• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

No Sound on Half Life 2 demo

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Hi
I have just installed the demo on my system to se how it runs. I have an AMD
1.4 with 512mb, with Geforce 3 card and SBlive 5.1 card. Apart from getting
the brief bit of music on the Valve titles I am not getting any sound
whatsoever on the menu or game! I have tried altering the sound quality and
other options 2 speakers/5.1 etc with no improvement. All my other games &
demos have no problems- Painkiller/doom/half-life 1 etc. Any ideas?

cheers

bill
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Bill Sherren" <wb.sherren@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:RgqKd.70$on2.33@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> Hi
> I have just installed the demo on my system to se how it runs. I have an
> AMD
> 1.4 with 512mb, with Geforce 3 card and SBlive 5.1 card. Apart from
> getting
> the brief bit of music on the Valve titles I am not getting any sound
> whatsoever on the menu or game! I have tried altering the sound quality
> and
> other options 2 speakers/5.1 etc with no improvement. All my other games &
> demos have no problems- Painkiller/doom/half-life 1 etc. Any ideas?
>
> cheers
>
> bill
>


Try updating your sound card drivers. I had probs after installing the full
game and new drivers solved that.

--
Cheers

Kev
XBL GT- bigbaldkev
 

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
634
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

And check dxdiag to make sure that DirectSound is working properly.

DaveL


"bigbaldkev" <bigbaldSPAMTRAPkev@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
news:ctdqj4$cd6$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> "Bill Sherren" <wb.sherren@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:RgqKd.70$on2.33@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
>> Hi
>> I have just installed the demo on my system to se how it runs. I have an
>> AMD
>> 1.4 with 512mb, with Geforce 3 card and SBlive 5.1 card. Apart from
>> getting
>> the brief bit of music on the Valve titles I am not getting any sound
>> whatsoever on the menu or game! I have tried altering the sound quality
>> and
>> other options 2 speakers/5.1 etc with no improvement. All my other games
>> &
>> demos have no problems- Painkiller/doom/half-life 1 etc. Any ideas?
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> bill
>>
>
>
> Try updating your sound card drivers. I had probs after installing the
> full game and new drivers solved that.
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Kev
> XBL GT- bigbaldkev
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> Try updating your sound card drivers. I had probs after installing the
full
> game and new drivers solved that.
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Kev
> XBL GT- bigbaldkev
I have the latest drivers for my card- though even those date back to 2002.
I have now got the 2 speaker to work and it comes out of the front two &
rear two speakers so not too bad. As I am happy with all my other software
won't rock the boat by trying any other older drivers.

cheers

bill
 

shawk

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
1,074
0
19,280
0
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Bill Sherren wrote:
>>Try updating your sound card drivers. I had probs after installing the
>
> full
>
>>game and new drivers solved that.
>>
>>--
>>Cheers
>>
>>Kev
>>XBL GT- bigbaldkev
>
> I have the latest drivers for my card- though even those date back to 2002.
> I have now got the 2 speaker to work and it comes out of the front two &
> rear two speakers so not too bad. As I am happy with all my other software
> won't rock the boat by trying any other older drivers.
>
> cheers
>
> bill
>
>

Bill,

There is a driver patch from 2003 and a driver hotfix from 2004 for the
SBLive 5:1 under XP (you didn't give your OS). I didn't look to see
what issues they solve but might be worth exploring?

Shaun

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
news:1106996561.14360.0@echo.uk.clara.net...

> There is a driver patch from 2003 and a driver hotfix from 2004 for the
> SBLive 5:1 under XP (you didn't give your OS). I didn't look to see
> what issues they solve but might be worth exploring?
>
> Shaun
Will check that out. I use ME. On the driver page for that OS I could only
see my driver download and a driver fix for two specific driver versions
which were not mine. I have tried earlier versions which created all kinds
of stability problems with my system. Which is why I am now wary on changing
unless I am sure of improvements.

cheers

bill
 

Similar threads