No sound on TV, DVI to HDMI

Panda Dan

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Hello,

I've looked all over online for solutions to this type of problem but it hasnt helped. I am using a GeForce 9800 GT graphics card which has 2 DVI slots in back. The main one is hooked up to my monitor and works fine, and the second input is hooked up to my TV via a DVI to HDMI cord. I am trying to get sound on the TV but it's not working. My sound driver is Realtek and I don't know what the problem is.

I think I may need to use an actual HDMI driver from realtek for Nvidia, but I havent found one. If anyone knows where this is please direct me to it.

I have already taken the following steps to try to fix my problem 1.) Setting the Nvidia Control Panel properly (hdmi audio enabled, resolution, etc) 2.) Using Control Panel to set my monitor and tv to duplicate display.

If you have any information that could help please post it. My goal is to get my TV and Computer to play the same audio at the same time, both through my headphones (which work fine) and through my connected TV.

Thanks,

Dan

Solution
dvi doesn't have audio signal in it, so thats the problem. it doesnt matter if hdmi can carry sound if the signal originates from dvi output... Try connecting the audio line-out from the mobo or sound card into the tv (if the tv can take sound input)

Kari

Splendid
dvi doesn't have audio signal in it, so thats the problem. it doesnt matter if hdmi can carry sound if the signal originates from dvi output... Try connecting the audio line-out from the mobo or sound card into the tv (if the tv can take sound input)

Solution

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
DVI can carry sound through a HDMI adapter... if your graphics card has a built-in sound processor like an AMD/ATI graphics card. However, NVIDIA graphic cards don't have a sound processor so you are forced to use the audio line-out on your comptuer.

Kari

Splendid

huh?
so which pins do you reckon will be used to carry sound?
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi
300px-DVI_Connector_Pinout.svg.png

Pin 1 TMDS data 2− Digital red− (link 1)
Pin 2 TMDS data 2+ Digital red+ (link 1)
Pin 3 TMDS data 2/4 shield
Pin 4 TMDS data 4− Digital green− (link 2)
Pin 5 TMDS data 4+ Digital green+ (link 2)
Pin 6 DDC clock
Pin 7 DDC data
Pin 8 Analog vertical sync
Pin 9 TMDS data 1− Digital green− (link 1)
Pin 10 TMDS data 1+ Digital green+ (link 1)
Pin 11 TMDS data 1/3 shield
Pin 12 TMDS data 3- Digital blue− (link 2)
Pin 13 TMDS data 3+ Digital blue+ (link 2)
Pin 14 +5 V Power for monitor when in standby
Pin 15 Ground Return for pin 14 and analog sync
Pin 16 Hot plug detect
Pin 17 TMDS data 0− Digital blue− (link 1) and digital sync
Pin 18 TMDS data 0+ Digital blue+ (link 1) and digital sync
Pin 19 TMDS data 0/5 shield
Pin 20 TMDS data 5− Digital red− (link 2)
Pin 21 TMDS data 5+ Digital red+ (link 2)
Pin 22 TMDS clock shield
Pin 23 TMDS clock+ Digital clock+ (links 1 and 2)
Pin 24 TMDS clock− Digital clock− (links 1 and 2)
C1 Analog red
C2 Analog green
C3 Analog blue
C4 Analog horizontal sync
C5 Analog ground Return for R, G, and B signals

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

I have video/audio (DVI + HDMI adapter) on my ATI HD 3850 through a HDMI cable to my TV. If you don't believe me then try it yourself or ask a friend who has a similar set up.

There are 5+ different types of DVI connectors; not just one. Maybe, the DVI connector is custom-designed on my ATI HD 3850 to output sound, but what also makes it work is that there is already a sound processing chip in the graphics card to allow this. I'm pretty sure NVIDIA doesn't have a sound processing chip in their graphics card; however, maybe the newer models have this technology now.

Dvi can actually output an hdmi signal which supports audio. But the dvi signal does not support audio. This works on both nvidia and amd cards. It depends if your card is capable. Any of the data pins can send a digital signal of any type (but keep in mind it needs to be dvi compliant), it's what creates the signal that is the issue. Different types of dvi is also irrelevant as this is just the number of pins (except for dvi-a since it needs to be digital).

You sure did edit your post many times. Nvidia actually started doing this in the 200 series and ati with the 3000 series.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

Yes, I did edit my post several times because I wasn't sure if NVIDIA had sound output on their graphic cards yet.

Dec 27, 2018

Actually, Kari, DVI does transmit sound, I have no issues with this feature on my Win10 PC and I connect my PC to my computer via a DVI-HDMI cable. Please research this information more carefully before you give the wrong information. DVI can, indeed, transmit audio just fine. VGA, however, cannot, normally.