no sound or internet a7n8x-x

Hi,
I built an amd 2400
asus a7n8x-x mo
256 drr 400 ram
40 gig harddrive
The problems I am having I think are software related but I can't figure out
where or what files to get.
I have the sound icon in the tray but no sound, so I downloaded ac97
software that installed fine but still no sound.
The internet is driving me crazy! I see the nic card in the device manager
and went into network settings and everything looks right but when I go
online I get a dns error.

I went to system information and under problem devices is pci steering
How and where do I get the drivers for the pci steering problem

Thanks I know it is a lot of problems

---

"Laura Taylor" <ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I built an amd 2400
> asus a7n8x-x mo
> 256 drr 400 ram
> 40 gig harddrive
> The problems I am having I think are software related but I can't figure
out
> where or what files to get.
> I have the sound icon in the tray but no sound, so I downloaded ac97
> software that installed fine but still no sound.
> The internet is driving me crazy! I see the nic card in the device manager
> and went into network settings and everything looks right but when I go
> online I get a dns error.
>
> I went to system information and under problem devices is pci steering
> How and where do I get the drivers for the pci steering problem
>
> Thanks I know it is a lot of problems
>

> ---

Did you install the basic set of nvidia drivers? ..
If you dont do that then lots of stuff wont work correctly

yes i installed the drivers, funny thing is i have the sound icon and my
router is seeing the computer.But i am still getting the dns error.

On 02 May 2004, Laura Taylor wrote:

> I built an amd 2400
> asus a7n8x-x mo

> I have the sound icon in the tray but no sound
> I see the nic card in the device manager...but when I go online
> I get a dns error.

> I went to system information and under problem devices is pci steering
> How and where do I get the drivers for the pci steering problem

Don't worry about the PCI Steering problem. There's a good reason
for it and an explanation on the MS site I think (Google will lead you
to it if it's not there). Anyway, I have this and everything works OK.

Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?
I would look in your BIOS first to see if anything has been disabled,
and then re-install the motherboard drivers. Since both your audio
and your LAN chips aren't working, I'm pretty sure that's where
your problem lies.

> yes i installed the drivers, funny thing is i have the sound icon and my
> router is seeing the computer.But i am still getting the dns error.

If the router is seeing the computer then that's good (means no hardware
failure).

What is the DNS error, and is this the first time you have used this router

this is a fresh install of win98se. I just reformatted and put in the
drivers from the cd that came with the motherboard. I still have no sound
although it looks like I have sound, it shows the nic but no internet. Dns
error is that it cant find the server
Where on the cd does it have the pci drivers? In the device manger it shows
as other devices a
pci universal serial bus, I cant find the drivers for that on the cd. Also
in system information it shows ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering; This
device has a problem device failure.

> "Laura Taylor" <ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > yes i installed the drivers, funny thing is i have the sound icon and my
> > router is seeing the computer.But i am still getting the dns error.
>
> If the router is seeing the computer then that's good (means no hardware
> failure).
>
> What is the DNS error, and is this the first time you have used this
router

---

laura

Hi I formated and reinstalled everything, i am now online. I do not have
any exclamation marks in the device manager but still can not get any sound.
It acts like i have sound, ie i have the sound icon in my system tray, and
when i go to the sound properties in control panel it plays but i do not
hear anything. i made sure my volume was up and tried all three plugs in the
back but still no sound. I also do not get any system sounds at start up, no
beeps or anything.
This one has me puzzled ;-)
Thanks for your help. Laura
"S.B." <sb@acpma.inv> wrote in message news:c748fb$j06$0@pita.alt.net...
> On 02 May 2004, Laura Taylor wrote:
>
> > I built an amd 2400
> > asus a7n8x-x mo
>
> > I have the sound icon in the tray but no sound
> > I see the nic card in the device manager...but when I go online
> > I get a dns error.
>
> > I went to system information and under problem devices is pci steering
> > How and where do I get the drivers for the pci steering problem
>
> Don't worry about the PCI Steering problem. There's a good reason
> for it and an explanation on the MS site I think (Google will lead you
> to it if it's not there). Anyway, I have this and everything works OK.
>
> Do you have any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?
> I would look in your BIOS first to see if anything has been disabled,
> and then re-install the motherboard drivers. Since both your audio
> and your LAN chips aren't working, I'm pretty sure that's where
> your problem lies.

Paul

Splendid

In article <1hAlc.7862$vz5.4787@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, "laura"
<ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi I formated and reinstalled everything, i am now online. I do not have
> any exclamation marks in the device manager but still can not get any sound.
> It acts like i have sound, ie i have the sound icon in my system tray, and
> when i go to the sound properties in control panel it plays but i do not
> hear anything. i made sure my volume was up and tried all three plugs in the
> back but still no sound. I also do not get any system sounds at start up, no
> beeps or anything.
> This one has me puzzled ;-)
> Thanks for your help. Laura

Check the FPAUDIO header on the motherboard. There should be
two jumpers installed on the header. The jumpers connect
the audio chip to the lime colored lineout connector on the
back of the computer. The jumpers are not shown in the
downloadable a7n8x-x manual I have here, but some of the
other a7n8x family motherboards have the following picture:

MIC2 X X AGND
MICPWR X X +5VA
Line_out_R X<-->X BLINE_OUT_R
NC X
Line_out_L X<-->X BLINE_OUT_L

The motherboard should have shipped from the factory with
those two jumpers in place. Note there is one missing pin
on the header (only 9 X's shown above, where X is a pin).
<--> is my symbol for a jumper.

HTH,
Paul

On 03 May 2004, Laura Taylor wrote:

> ...still can not get any sound.
> It acts like i have sound, ie i have the sound icon in my system tray, and
> when i go to the sound properties in control panel it plays but i do not
> hear anything. i made sure my volume was up and tried all three plugs in the
> back but still no sound. I also do not get any system sounds at start up, no
> beeps or anything.

No start-up beep suggests that either "Quick Power On Self Test" is disabled
in the BIOS (p. 2-14 of the manual), or that your case speaker isn't correctly
connected to the motherboard (p. 1-19). Is "Onboard AC97 Audio Controller"
disabled in the BIOS?

laura

thak you,
I got the start up beep,the stupid case i got have a separate speaker
connection, it is weird the connector attched to a small barrel looking
kinda speaker.My other cases always had them attched to the front of the
case. Now for some reason even i dont know i took those jumpers off ? i dont
know why but my question is this; on the fpaudio where do the 2 jumpers go?
> In article <1hAlc.7862$vz5.4787@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, "laura"
> <ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi I formated and reinstalled everything, i am now online. I do not
have
> > any exclamation marks in the device manager but still can not get any
sound.
> > It acts like i have sound, ie i have the sound icon in my system tray,
and
> > when i go to the sound properties in control panel it plays but i do not
> > hear anything. i made sure my volume was up and tried all three plugs in
the
> > back but still no sound. I also do not get any system sounds at start
up, no
> > beeps or anything.
> > This one has me puzzled ;-)
> > Thanks for your help. Laura
>
> Check the FPAUDIO header on the motherboard. There should be
> two jumpers installed on the header. The jumpers connect
> the audio chip to the lime colored lineout connector on the
> back of the computer. The jumpers are not shown in the
> downloadable a7n8x-x manual I have here, but some of the
> other a7n8x family motherboards have the following picture:
>
> MIC2 X X AGND
> MICPWR X X +5VA
> Line_out_R X<-->X BLINE_OUT_R
> NC X
> Line_out_L X<-->X BLINE_OUT_L
>
> The motherboard should have shipped from the factory with
> those two jumpers in place. Note there is one missing pin
> on the header (only 9 X's shown above, where X is a pin).
> <--> is my symbol for a jumper.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

laura

Sorry i just reread your post after i posted back i found it and i now have
sound!
i know why i took them off in the first place, i have a case that has usb
and a mic and headset connections.
In the manuel fp_audio1 says it is for front panel audio cable.
All the connectors matched so i took off the jumpers.
Now i am not sure where the front panel connections go.

"laura" <ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> thak you,
> I got the start up beep,the stupid case i got have a separate speaker
> connection, it is weird the connector attched to a small barrel looking
> kinda speaker.My other cases always had them attched to the front of the
> case. Now for some reason even i dont know i took those jumpers off ? i
dont
> know why but my question is this; on the fpaudio where do the 2 jumpers
go?
> > In article <1hAlc.7862$vz5.4787@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, "laura"
> > <ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi I formated and reinstalled everything, i am now online. I do not
> have
> > > any exclamation marks in the device manager but still can not get any
> sound.
> > > It acts like i have sound, ie i have the sound icon in my system tray,
> and
> > > when i go to the sound properties in control panel it plays but i do
not
> > > hear anything. i made sure my volume was up and tried all three plugs
in
> the
> > > back but still no sound. I also do not get any system sounds at start
> up, no
> > > beeps or anything.
> > > This one has me puzzled ;-)
> > > Thanks for your help. Laura
> >
> > Check the FPAUDIO header on the motherboard. There should be
> > two jumpers installed on the header. The jumpers connect
> > the audio chip to the lime colored lineout connector on the
> > back of the computer. The jumpers are not shown in the
> > downloadable a7n8x-x manual I have here, but some of the
> > other a7n8x family motherboards have the following picture:
> >
> > MIC2 X X AGND
> > MICPWR X X +5VA
> > Line_out_R X<-->X BLINE_OUT_R
> > NC X
> > Line_out_L X<-->X BLINE_OUT_L
> >
> > The motherboard should have shipped from the factory with
> > those two jumpers in place. Note there is one missing pin
> > on the header (only 9 X's shown above, where X is a pin).
> > <--> is my symbol for a jumper.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <cpUlc.8300$L8.379@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>, "laura"
<ltaylor2@verizon.net> wrote:

> Sorry i just reread your post after i posted back i found it and
> i now have sound!
> i know why i took them off in the first place, i have a case that
> has usb and a mic and headset connections.
> In the manuel fp_audio1 says it is for front panel audio cable.
> All the connectors matched so i took off the jumpers.
> Now i am not sure where the front panel connections go.
>
> > > MIC2 X X AGND
> > > MICPWR X X +5VA
> > > Line_out_R X<-->X BLINE_OUT_R
> > > NC X
> > > Line_out_L X<-->X BLINE_OUT_L
> > >
> > > The motherboard should have shipped from the factory with
> > > those two jumpers in place. Note there is one missing pin
> > > on the header (only 9 X's shown above, where X is a pin).
> > > <--> is my symbol for a jumper.

Here is an "ASCII art" picture of the wiring:
-------------
| |
----------| Sound |
| | Chip |
| ------| |
| | | |
| | | |
Case Front Audio | | -------------
("Interrupting" Type Jack) | |
| |
-------- 1 AGND | | Lime Lineout (Back)
| ______ 2 Line_out_R <------ |
- -| / ^ | AGND ----------+ (SLEEVE)
| | |--- 3 BLINE_OUT_R -------- | --------------------+ (RING)
| | |
| | |--- 4 BLINE_OUT_L -------- | ------------------+ (TIP)
| | v |
- -| \_____ 5 Line_out_L <----------

The sound starts with the sound chip, then the stereo signals
go to the Line_out_R and Line_out_L signals. If you have the
two jumpers in place, the signals get bridged to the back of
the computer.

When you remove the jumpers, you need an "Interrupting" type
jack for the headphone jack on the front of the computer. If the
jack has only three wires (Left, Right, GND), then there are
no "return" signals available to drive BLINE_OUT_R and
BLINE_OUT_L.

The way the interrupting type jack works, is when no headset
is plugged in, the two contacts close, and work just like
they were jumpers, to jumper the sound chip signals to
the connector on the back of the computer.

When you plug a headset into the front of the computer, the
plug causes the contacts to open. The headset gets its audio
signal OK, but because the contacts are open, this disconnects
the signals from the back of the computer.

If your case doesn't have the "interrupting" type jack, then
wire "3" and "4" in the diagram above, are missing. Then, the
front headset jack works, but the back doesn't. If you can
find a way of leaving the jumpers in place, while connecting
the headphone jack, then sound will be available front and
back, all the time. There are no retail products available to
do this, and due to the presence of the +5V signal on
the FPAUDIO header, I don't recommend neophyte wiring to
try to solve the problem. (Shorting +5 to something could
cause problems.)

An Asus J-Panel is a drive bay mounted product that gives
you some connectors including a proper headphone jack. If
you have money to burn, try one of these.

http://ec1.macrotron.de/PDF/B99Z429.pdf

HTH,
Paul