No sound through HDMI to DVI cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikeKun

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I got a new samsung lcd recently and hooked it up to my pc's Geforce 8800GT with an hdmi to dvi cable. The picture comes fine on the tv but there's no sound. I read around on forums and figured out that sound can't come through an hdmi to dvi cable and nvidia graphics cards don't have onboard sound. A friend of mine also hooks his pc to the tv and told me that he uses a seperate audio cable as well. So I went to the shop and asked for one. They gave me one (forgot name) and I hooked it up from the tv to my sound card am still not getting any sound.

Can anyone tell me what wire/equipment I need specifically to get sound from my PC to the tv? Thanks in advance.

SpikeKun

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Yeah, I figured that part out. Thats why I wanna know what equipment/wires I need to be able to get sound as well.

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
if both your card and tv have hdmi sockets, then hdmi to hdmi cable will do the trick.
else, use another cable that is connected to one of your sound jacks in the computer

jiro

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
if you want audio from HDMI output of your videocard
it should be hdmi to hdmi. there's no audio for dvi, you have to use a different wires for that.

http://www.palit.biz/main/faq_show.php?pc_cate=vga&id=101

How to use HDMI audio? (For nVIDIA-based graphics cards only)

1.Through Internal SPDIF cable: (As Pic #1)
Step a. Use the internal SPDIF cable, plug one side of the cable into the SPDIF-in header on the graphics card.
Step b. Plug another side of the cable into the SPDIF-out header on the motherboard.
(Different motherboards may have different SPDIF connectors, please follow the instruction of the motherboard.) ** Red line is for signal (+), Black line is for ground (-).

HDMI01.jpg

2.Through external optical SPDIF cable: (As Pic #2)
Step a. Use the external optical SPDIF cable, plug one side of the cable into the SPDIF-out port on the back of the motherboard.
Step b. Plug another side of the cable into the SPDIF-in port of the graphics card.

HDMI02.jpg

After finish connecting the SPDIF cable, you also need to switch audio output to digital output in the operation system. (To know how to switch audio output, please refer the manual of the motherboard.)

^^ Yeah, but how few LCD's even have a SPDIF port anyways?

Basically, it comes to this:
Analog: VGA + RCA (can convert a 3.5mm mini to RCA stereo pretty easily)
Digital: HDMI or DVI + SPDIF

Note that most TV's have a Digital/PCinput mode and an analog mode, so you usually can't mix and match. If you lack a HDMI port and SPDIF port, you're only option is some sort of box that takes the signals you have from you're PC and convets them to something the TV can use.

SpikeKun

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys.

The thing is, my card doesn't have any hdmi ports, it only has two DVI ports. That is why I'm using an hdmi to dvi cable to connect it to my lcd TV.

This is my card: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2687

So as I can't use an hdmi to hdmi connection and am FORCED to use an hdmi to dvi cable, the whole thing with the SPDIF doesn't apply to my situation right?

A friend of mine connects his TV to the PC with an hdmi to dvi cable as well and he mentioned he just uses another audio cable that goes from his sound card to the TV. As we're both rather technologically challenged, not sure what 'audio cable' that is exactly. :(

So does anyone have a clue what I need in ADDITION to the hdmi to dvi cable to get sound on my TV?

...its DVI to HDMI, not HDMI to DVI; you had me thinking backwards...

To be clear: You are outputting via DVI, converting to HDMI, and then plugging into you're TV, correct? If so, see jiro's post above.

be_Ready82

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
i'm having the same issue, I'm able to get it to work by going in the NVIDIA Control Panel -> Change resolution and under "2. Connection" change it from "HDMI - HDTV (Audio enabled)" to "HDMI - HDTV (Audio Disabled)"...

Your sreen will refresh and when it returns, you should start hearing some audio... but you'll also notice a change in quality!!! and that's where i'm at... I'm trying to firgure out how I can leave it as is and still get the audio working... argh, something so simple, why isn't it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.