Question No sound through TV with DP to HDMI adapter

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I'm sure this has been asked before, but this is a bit more complicated so could not find a specific answer for my issue.
Have an old Optiplex XE that already has an old HD 4550 low profile card in it that I was going to use for old gaming.

The HD 4550 only has a DVI and DP so I connected via DP adapter to HDMI through my TV. The video is fine, but audio only coming through the PC. When I check sound options in control panel it only shows the Realtek speaker options, and no high definition audio device at all. Under device manager the 4550 is recognized and shows most up to date drivers installed, but under sound no high def audio at all.

Okay, so maybe since this is a super old card and PC which I have no previous history of I will just go ahead and download drivers again. I downloaded straight from AMD, and when I intstall it bsod with error message plug and play detected an error most likely caused by faulty driver. I try installing again but instead of express option I choose custom and choose entire package. Drivers installed with no bsod, but still no high def audio, and sound only through PC speaker.

I will go ahead and run DDU and try reinstalling drivers again, (which I know I should have done first), but my concern is messing it up somehow so it goes back to bsod'ing all the time, artifacting, or simply no video at all. Or would I would I be better off downloading MB drivers?

By the way I ran nfs carbon for a while with no issues with video at highest possible settings so card is working, at least right now.

Thanks.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Okay so something odd. I went ahead and used DDU to uninstall all AMD drivers, which it did, and then it automatically restarted. I know it worked before restart as the screen was now in std VGA.

Almost immediately after restarting the msg at the bottom states installing new drivers, and 4550 is set up again. The thing is I had not even installed yet, and when I go into device manager next to the hd 4550 it shows Microsoft Corporation WDDM1.1. (I just realized that is a feature of Windows 7 so not sure if pertinent). The Optiplex XE was given to me and the HDD was mine from another PC that had an Nvidia GT 1030. The Low profile HD 4550 was already in the XE.

I was hoping to completely wipe all AMD drivers and start over with fresh install, but cannot get around this loop. I think I am getting the bsod talking about faulty drivers when trying to do fresh AMD install because somewhere the other drivers won't go away. I thought maybe somewhere in the BIOS I could make a change but not sure.

Last edited: