[SOLVED] No sound, tried like everything

1337rofl

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Hi, after like a year of not touching my PC I decided I really wanna play TES Skyrim again.
I booted up my pc, but there is no sound at all, so not in Windows, not in Youtube, not anywhere.

I am using speakers that are connected to
1: the back of the PC in a USB port for power and
2: a green line in jack. (front of pc)

I tried everything! I tried looking for the speakers in device manager, tried showing hidden devices.
And before you ask if I downloaded drivers; the first thing I did before I even noticed that there was no sound was update all drivers. (AMD Radeon GPU driver + AMD HD Audio driver and my pc's own high definition audio driver).
Then I remembered that in the windows XP era I remember always having something called Realtek audio, so I went ahead and downloaded Realtek HD audio, installed it, still nothing.
Tried putting the speakers jack in the rear port, even tried connecting headphones!
No sound, the PC just won't freaking notice any input of sound playback devices, what more can I do?

Also a little sidequestion; my pc used to be super quick but now it takes like 30 seconds to open chrome and a minute to open freaking PC settings. I first thought it was all automatic updates obviously because I haven't touched the PC in a year so I disabled automatic updates and even windows defender. CPU and disk usage have significantly been lowered but memory usage is still super high and yeah, with a PC running so slow I don't think Skyrim will even open smoothly like the old days when my PC was quick.

Soo.. 2 issues, but I would love the audio issue to be resolved the most, been getting crazy all night and morning with this.
Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
Fixed it, for anyone else that has no sound after updating to windows 10 or for whatever reason;

I went into device manager and noticed that HD audio device with Microsoft as the creator is just a generic title for where the actual sound card should be detected. My sound card obviously wasn't detected, and as we know the sound card is in the motherboard... so:
Visit your motherboard driver page (mine is an old asustek P5L-MX).
Then download the latest sound driver, and install it through device manager -> locate driver file.
(had to go to the windows XP section on motherboard page as my mobo is really old).
After this sound started working!

1337rofl

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Fixed it, for anyone else that has no sound after updating to windows 10 or for whatever reason;

I went into device manager and noticed that HD audio device with Microsoft as the creator is just a generic title for where the actual sound card should be detected. My sound card obviously wasn't detected, and as we know the sound card is in the motherboard... so:
Visit your motherboard driver page (mine is an old asustek P5L-MX).
Then download the latest sound driver, and install it through device manager -> locate driver file.
(had to go to the windows XP section on motherboard page as my mobo is really old).
After this sound started working!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS