[SOLVED] No Sound Under Windows XP

meeshu

Honorable
Nov 2, 2016
Running a dual boot system with Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Recently the internal sound card failed, so it was removed from my computer.

Fortunately the motherboard has integrated sound. So via the motherboard drivers CD, I installed the audio drivers for both Windows 7 and Windows XP for the integrated motherboard audio chip. Audio drivers are Realtek ALC892. Sound output is run through to external stereo speakers.

After installing the Realtek ALC892 audio drivers, Windows 7 audio seems to run fine, so far. But for some reason(s) under Windows XP there is no audio output at all!?

I downloaded and installed the latest Realtek ALC 892 audio drivers for Windows XP, but that made no difference; still no audio output!?

Why is there no audio output under Windows XP, and yet under Windows 7 there is audio output?

Thanks for any constructive comments!

meeshu

Honorable
Nov 2, 2016
The integrated audio on the motherboard does not seem to appear under hardware option of Device Manger for Windows XP.

Took a screenshot of the hardware arrangement under Device Manager, but can't directly attach images to this thread!? Tried using an online cloud storage service, but the image fails to attach here!???

Under Windows 7 Device Manager, there is also no listing for audio hardware as such(?), but lists High Definition Audio and RealTek High Definition Audio under the sound . . option.

Under Windows XP Device Manager sound . . option, it only lists Audio Codecs and Legacy Audio Codecs. There are no entries for High Definition Audio and RealTek High Definition Audio!?

Since Windows 7 audio works OK and shares the same hardware as Windows XP, then I don't believe the issue is hardware related. Seems more likely to be a software issue.