outofworkphotog

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I recently purchased a Dell XPS 430 with the following specs:

-Intel Core 2 Q8200 Quad-Core 4MB L2 cache 2.33GHz,1333FSB
-4GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
-ATI Radeon HD3650 256MB
-Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

I have a Hannspree - 25" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor Model: HF-257HPB hooked up to it and installed the LG Blu-Ray player Model: BH08LS20.

I am outputting both my audio and video via the HDMI on the ATI HD3650 video card to the Hannspree, which has built in speakers. Since I just hooked all this up, this is the only configuration I have tried.

My problem is that everything works fine sound-wise on the machine, music, audio from DVD's through PowerDVD, etc. HOWEVER, when I pop a Blu-ray disc in, I get video, but no audio. I've scoured posts, called DELL, read the PowerDVD support page, but am kinda lost as to why the audio from Blu-ray discs doesn't work in my current configuration. I am a complete amateur with this stuff and would appreciate some help fixing this.

I'm guessing that you're trying to play back either DD/DTS audio signals, which are not being decoded. Check around either PowerDVD or the BluRay menu to set audio output to PCM, which doesn't require any decoding to play back properly.

leon2006

Distinguished
Download an update for your powerDVD on cyberlink website.

Run the Cyberlink Advisor. It will display a list if your HW & SW are HDCP compliant. In most cases the software(powerDVD) that comes with the drive is outdated.

outofworkphotog

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Thanks for everyone's input. The issue is still unresolved. I've tried a few different movies, some of the older blu-ray's where it is only Dolby Digital 5.1 (for example 'Bullitt') which have the same audio tracks as the DVD's that work, and the newer DTS (the new Bond rereleases) as well, its basically like no sound comes from any blu-ray disc I put in, but all DVD's work. It is so frustrating because it shows the video but no audio. I can't seem to find any place to change audio settings hardware-wise in my CPU, I'm assuming this is because it is integrated audio as opposed to having a sound card. As for changing the audio settings in PowerDVD, I can only find one place in 'configuration' and it allows me to choose from Stereo and Dolby Surround Compatible Downmix and neither work. I've also tried different audio tracks within the Top Menu of the disc itself, this doesn't work either.

The version of PowerDVD I'm running is 7.3 and it says its for BD, BD Live and all recent audio formats. I didn't think there was any more upgrades because it did an automatic update when I first installed it, I guess I should check that and also download Cyberlink Advisor.

And the sound is not muted during playback, I made sure of that.

outofworkphotog

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Okay, well totally a software issue. Even though it says that 7.3 is fine for BD and advisor said everything is good to go on my machine, no blu ray audio. Decided to download trial version of PowerDVD 9 and the audio worked right away after install, and there are many more options under audio configuration, allowing for me to choose 'current vista speaker config' which is HDMI. Well I guess my problem is solved, other than I have to pony up the money to turn the trial version into the licensed version. Ugh. Thanks everybody.

leon2006

Distinguished
Power DVD 7.xx will work just fine.... I have been using it for more than a year.

I have made it work on 3870, 8800gt, GTX280, XOC 4890.

For the ATI cards i got it to work using the DVI/HDMI.... Both audio and video.

It is normal to have "WARNINGS/NOTIFICATION" with new movie releases on Blue-Ray. There is no problem with the software.... Its the DISC that has new sets of securty code. Upon loading this new movies users are prompted to load an update from Cyberlink. Once its done the new movie plays.

FULL VERSION:
I got a full version and that could be one reason i don't have issues whatever hardware i use.

FREE VERSION with the LG_DRIVE:
I started with a version that came with my LG drive. That was a challenged. I have to go through Cyberlink HELP-SUPPORT to get the correct software PATCH to make it work. There are instances that the patch/download upgrade from Cyberlink Webpage don't fix the issues on the software that came with my LG-DRIVE.

It was a big pain in the butt to go through a 2 weeks email cycle with Cyberlink HELP-SUPPORT. For the software that i have at that time thats the only way to get a correct path(Again not the webpage download).

The free verison of the LG-DRIVE was outdated... It could not recognize my 8800GT and the 3870.

If you want to avoid spending $$ to cyberlink get in touch with cyberlink HELP-SUPPORT (email only). They will surefly fix your problem in about ...~ 2 weeks.

outofworkphotog

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
I was trying to make it work with the free version that came with the LG drive, similar to what you describe. 2 weeks of my time is worth a whole lot more than $99 dollars for the newest full version of PowerDVD. Thanks for your feedback.

SLOVEHEART

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
I HAVE USED POWER DVD VER 7.3 BD ENABLED, AND EVERYTHING WORKED FINE, THEN I GOT A MESSAGE THAT I NEEDED TO UPDATE TO A NEWER VERSION ; SO I DOWNLOADED THE PATCH AND WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT - THE SOUND WOULD STUTTER CONSTANTLY - IT WOULD PLAY AND THEN HANG. MY SOLUTION WAS TO NOT ALLOW IT TO ACCESS THE INTERNET WITH ZONEALARM AND DISABLED CYBER;INK SOFTWARE UPDATER AFTER I REINSTALLED THE OLD VERSION AGAIN. NO PROBLEM YET. I USE VISTA ULTIMATE 32 BIT WITH CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER TITANIUM PCI EXPRESS CARD, AND I HAVE A ATI HD 2600XT VIDEO CARD, 4GB PC 6400 RAM THATS ALL THAT I CAN THINK OF THAT MATTERS BESIDES A Q6600 QUAD CORE 8MB L2 CACHE PROCESSOR.

SLOVEHEART
EUGENE, OREGON

leon2006

Distinguished
Eugine

Are you using a full version or a version that came with your Blue Ray Drive?

When you download the path there are specific patch for specific release of PowerDVD. You need to pick the right one that match your software.

I'm using a a full version and do download updates on a regular basis. I don't encounter the problem that you have.

New Blue Ray Disc will require you to download new patch from time to time. At least once every 6 months.

jnaz

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I had similar issues when asked to upgrade from 7.3 with a urgent patch, I did it and sound stopped working in Bluray and HD movies. So since then I rolled back and ignored the message.

I have been using the LG drive with Power DVD for over a year now, playing both HD and Bluray movies. There have been a few movies that I couldn't play; all Bluray I believe. Life of Bees was one that I remember.

There were two patches I that I remember downloading, one was okay and the other gave me the issue. I think it had 1505 in the name. Oh I had tried again this weekend and same thing happened again. So make sure you do a restore point. I am not able to play disc one season one of Lost, it hangs explorer till I eject it.

So it goes back to the basics; if yours aint broke, don't try and fix it...

Cheezer Dude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Hi

just resolved similar issues with power dvd. no sound when playing blurays in
power dvd. Open the configuration menu of power dvd before you play the blu-ray.
I was popping in the disk and going from there but you need to do this before as
this option disappears as soon as the disk is playing.

This seems to give you more options under the audio tab, you should now be able
to select under the speaker environment tab to output via HDMI if thats what your doing.

I hope this helps someone!!

CHEERS

G

Yep, it just helped me. I had the exact same problem and as you said, took out the disc and changed the audio output to spdif (that was for my digital output), put the disc back in and everything worked perfectly.

Thank you so very much!

tom.

G

Hello folks. I have also had the same problems that seem to be down to Power DVD 7. But are actually hardware related.
I believe the audio output on motherboards/ soundcards conflicts with the audio output on High Def graphics cards. If like myself you want audio output through SPDIF disable audio through HDMI. Go to control panel/ hardware & sound/ device manager/ scroll down to sound video & game conrollers. There you will see ATI function driver (if using ati graphics) right click on this and disable. I found this sorted all of my Blu Ray woes & all the little dts lights are showing up on my amp.
Hope this helps.
Vic.

G

Hey I had the exact same problem and there's a really simple fix. On your power DVD home menu, go to settings, audio settings, then change "2 speakers" to HDMI. and then make sure you press apply because i didn't at first.

hope this helps

ian628

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Doesnt this issue has to do with DRM issues, if you have your pc hooked up through HDMI, and you try and use and optical output from your tv to your reciever, you will not get any sound when you play a Bluray.

mrmilleraths

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
I am having a very similar issue. No sound when the source sound from Blu-ray is DTS-HD. I switch to a Dolby Digital sound source on the same Blu-ray, sound returns.

Only DTS HD audio streams seem to be causeing my problems.

I'm using PowerDVD 9.0.2320.0 (purchased), NVIDIA GeForce G100, LG BluRay Combo Drive CH08LS10. HDMI to TV, Toslink from TV to Reciever.

My stand alone player in the same setup, (HDMI to TV, Toslink from TV to reciever) does not have these issues.

If this is DRM, any work arounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.